Interesting Reading Regarding the CoS and the IRS

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

lawanon

Clear

Post Tue May 20, 2008 9:03 pm

Interesting Reading Regarding the CoS and the IRS

If you've never been to this site, you might want to check it out. The articles are very good, and provide very intelligent analysis rgarding legal issues pertaining to Scn.

I am attaching a recent article regarding a specific vulnerability the CoS has in relation to it's tax practices. Other articles on the site include the first article to expose CoS's manipulation of eBay to suppress the re-sale of e-meters.

http://realitybasedcommunity.net/archiv ... s_ta_1.php

Enjoy.
I object.
<<

James McGuigan

Ghost in the Machine

Post Thu May 29, 2008 12:59 pm

One unasked question:

Do the "private benifits" accorded to Cruise, outweigh his personal "donations" to various church organizations. That despite the "gain" of the benifits, that they do not yet outweight the "loss" of his donations.

Without looking up any figures I think he has donated substantual amounts, possibly millions.
Freedom is a choice. Choose to be yourself, choose to speak your truth and do so with compassion. And above all else, choose to be not afraid. If I can't dance, its not my revolution.
<<

lawanon

Clear

Post Fri May 30, 2008 1:33 am

James McGuigan wrote:One unasked question:

Do the "private benifits" accorded to Cruise, outweigh his personal "donations" to various church organizations. That despite the "gain" of the benifits, that they do not yet outweight the "loss" of his donations.

Without looking up any figures I think he has donated substantual amounts, possibly millions.

I suspect you are correct in your estimation that TC has donated as much as, if not more than, he has received from the CoS.

Can a tax-deductible donation truly be considered a "donation" if the donor is receiving substantial personal and financial benefits from the very same entity to which he is making the donations? Doesn't that set of facts lend it self neatly to the definition of a "transaction" as opposed to a "donation"? Indeed, under the circumstances, the same funds donated might very well be turned-around and plowed right back into a surprise birthday party bash on a cruise, or a swanky set of apartments in the Desert.

I suppose a more skeptical person might suspect an insidious motivation behind a decision to give large tax deductible gifts to a church that retuns the favor with equally large "gifts" of normally taxable goods and services.

By the way, I'm thrilled you commented on my post. I enjoy reading yours!
I object.
<<

tikk

Non-E

Post Fri May 30, 2008 3:26 am

James McGuigan wrote:One unasked question:

Cruise's donations likely far exceed any tangible benefits he receives, such as birthday parties aboard the Freewinds. If you toss the value of the outright shilling Cruise performs for Scientology into the equation, the scales might come closer to evening up, but I wouldn't expect there to be any literal quid pro quo set of expectations on either side of the transactional fence.

The question is unlikely to ever be settled. If Scientology was ever attacked on the basis of inurement, it would be unable to solve its problem by suddenly characterizing Tom Cruise's private benefits as payments for services rendered ... unless they were prepared to throw Cruise under the bus, that is, because such a stance would likely create an enormous tax problem for Cruise, who has likely been deducting his donations as charitable. Either scenario would be fun to watch, but unlikely to occur.

Return to Activism & Campaigns