[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Ex Scientology Kids • View topic - Let's Up the Ante - More Ways to Help!

Let's Up the Ante - More Ways to Help!

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:37 pm

Let's Up the Ante - More Ways to Help!

<<

dwest

Clear

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:39 pm

<<

mommanouse

Clear

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:36 pm

I think all of these are great ideas. Not that the board as it is isn't important just itself, because it is, but there are so many IRL things that people leaving need too, that if some of this is accomplished it could make a huge difference to people who are leaving.

However, the one thing I'll warn is not to get so enthusiastic about a number of projects at once so that you're spread too thin, everyone burns out, and the whole thing dies before you can do much good. Pick one thing that's the most important, and concentrate on that until it's self-sufficient; THEN move to the next thing on the list.

I've seen more well-meant projects fail this way than I'd care to think about.

The other thing is, if you're worried about being under OSA fire, why not make some private boards on the forum (that you have to be registered to use)? You can never have 100% security on the web, but it's at least a small thing you can do to get the discussion a bit more out in the open.
<<

anonypanda

OTIII

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:04 am

If anything. Perhaps someone/everyone should compile a list of free/inexpensive education institutes and trade/craft programs availalbe in various places so people can atleast get an education - which most of them lack. Also some hints on how to pitch yourself to an employer if you've been in the SO. Having worked reception or a managerial position there might have some slight weight for an employer as it can be seen as work experience.
Far east Anonymous.

我们匿名
我们军队
我们不会原谅
我们不会忘记
预期我们
<<

OneLetter

EPFer

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:18 am

I love the idea of helping ex-so or ex-scientologists. I'm still young and in college, but I will e-mail you anyway Kendra, maybe I can help in some way.
<<

ChaoticPsychotic

OTIII

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:21 pm

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently" - Nietzsche
<<

outlander

OT8 Class 12

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:24 am

Create that of your life that which you would like to see in a changed world. Ghandi
<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:11 am

<<

scotty

Non-E

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:24 pm

<<

scotty

Non-E

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:41 pm

<<

James McGuigan

Ghost in the Machine

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:55 pm

I can recommend the OU as a good place to learn... assuming that you are fairly well self-motivated. I did my own degree there (having left school with no qualifications) in Information Technology and Computing.

I did mine over 4 years, and paid around £1000 per year in course fees. Though I suspect there are various government schemes/student loans to assist those who can't afford that. If you live outside the UK, you have to pay more as the government partially subsidies the rate. If you just want to learn and are not worried about getting a bit of paper at the end, then just search for the module number and buy the second hand course books from ebay.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/index.htm

The OU works like this. They have a large number of modules, some 30 point and some 60 point modules. You need 360 points in total to get your degree, with usually no time limit on how long it takes to finish. You can just study random modules and get an unnamed degree, or follow a list of required modules to get a named degree (like mine). After 120 points, you can get a diploma.

The course year starts in Feb (but book well before), they send your books, plus your TMAs (tutor marked assignments). You read the books in your own time, and submit the TMAs before the required calendar dates, and do an 3-hour written exam at the end of the year for each module. You get assigned a tutor, with whom you can phone up and ask questions if you need, they will also hire out school buildings at the weekends occasionally and have in-person day-schools, where the tutor will go over the current section of the course materials.

The 30 point modules have 4 TMAs over the year, and the 60 point modules have 7 TMAs. Doing a 60 point and a 30 point together is doable, but it becomes a little hectic if you try to 3 courses at the same time (as due dates for TMAs can be very close). The best advise is push yourself beyond the published schedule, and not leave doing the TMAs to the last moment. Some courses allow you a skip a single TMA and substitute your "average" score for that assignment.

They have three levels of courses. 1xx are beginner first year courses (major boring shit...), 2xx are considered second year courses, and the 3xx are the more meaty ones (I know kung fu...) that often require prerequisite courses from the 2xx level. Your final degree "grade" is based on your scores from the 2xx and 3xx modules (1:1=85%+, 2:1=70%+, 2:2=55%, 3:1=40%+, fail=0-39%, averaged over all your modules).

Personally, I would just spend a couple of days reading the books cover to cover, then another day just doing the TMA. The TMAs are good in the fact that they make it quite obvious what you don't understand, so just keep going back over those sections, doing examples and clearing up any misunderstood concepts. Don't submit the TMA until you are confident you have the vast majority of it correct. Though I would also strongly recommend trying to apply aspects of what you are learning into a personal project detached from the OU, as it will give you better insights into what you are learning, and as they say there is no substitute for experience.

If you can get to the end of the degree, you will probably know your stuff better than many people who went to a traditional uni, and had to survive off lecture notes. In the outside world, the OU is generally fairly well regarded by employers, at the very least it shows that you are fairly self determined.
Freedom is a choice. Choose to be yourself, choose to speak your truth and do so with compassion. And above all else, choose to be not afraid. If I can't dance, its not my revolution.
<<

goodlife

EPFer

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:20 pm

Victim of your own success there I think Kendra.

I don’t think an NGO will work or any other sort of organization with an address, a figure head, etc. Like you said look at LMT, CAN, etc and compare that with the success of anonymous. Underground railways should stay underground I think.

My suggestion…

Create a database that can be cross referenced.

Create a basic survey for those willing to help.

Where do you live?
Can you provide accommodation?
What line of work can you provide assistance in?
Are you willing to provide initial financial assistance?
Etc…

Create a survey for those needing help.

Where are planning on moving too?
Do you need accommodation?
Do you need initial financial assistance?
What, if any, line of work do you feel best suited too?
Etc…

This can then be used to match up those who need help with those who can give it.

All you would have to do is make it possible for everyone to fill in the info and submit it on your site. And it goes without saying that the info would have to stay off-line and under lock and key.

Of course the maintenance of this would be a substantial job but you could vet a few of us and possibly assign one per major area (LA, NY, Florida, UK, etc)

I would also suggest you make sure everyone understands this is for ex-scientology KIDS not everyone who decides to jump ship.
<<

outlander

OT8 Class 12

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:10 pm

Create that of your life that which you would like to see in a changed world. Ghandi
<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:33 am

Interesting. A few points, Outlander:

1. I do agree that you'd have to toss a little capitalism into the mix for the reasons you outlined, more particularly because I think the anarchist co-operative theory starts to fall apart if used on its own for large-scale enterprises, but I do know that business model, at least on a small scale, is totally do-able. You might want to research food co-ops (co-operatives) as a business model. I don't know how workable that would be on a large scale, but I've seen it in action in a few cafes and grocery stores in Los Angeles, and it seems to work out pretty well.

Luna Sol aka Luna Terra Sol Cafe in Los Angeles was a wonderful space while I was in LA, they ran for years on collectivist principles. Dunno if they're still open, I haven't been there in 5 years or so, but they operated "in the green" as far as sustainability is concerned. Very cool.

There is something out there called anarcho-capitalism, very controversial because everyone hates it except anarcho-capitalists. Capitalists say it's anarchism, anarchists say it's capitalism, but it's worth reading about. Interesting stuff.

(Dear activists, please don't kill me for this next sentence:) I think if you could take some of the dogmatism out of it and used the bare bones of the model, it might become something truly new.

If you ever get around to starting a business like that, especially if we could get ESKs involved, I'd be very interested in helping.

2. I know David Morse personally, and I have to say I have never in my entire life met a nicer and more level-headed Scientologist. Ever. I met him and knew him after I was out, and he was sooooo cool, I can't even tell you. His son is one of the coolest, brightest, punk rockiest Scientology kids I have EVER EVER met, and one of the saddest things to me about becoming an open anti-Scientologist was that David Morse would be disappointed in me. I haven't spoken to him in a while, but I have to say that I would trust my life to Mr. Morse, and my secrets, and my friendship, Scientologist or no.

He was there for me despite the fact that I was getting in trouble for saying anti-Scientology things to his kid's friend, and I can't say enough good things about that guy. He really is a wonderful man, who has raised wonderful kids.

I was even considering applying to work for his company, the only reason I didn't was because I didn't want to work at another Scientology company, no matter how cool he was personally, but I almost ignored that because of his attitude. Fabulous human being, really.
<<

Plups

Clear

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:03 pm

<<

Kaos

Clear

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:40 pm

I'm not a business owner, just a worker bee like lots of others. But I have a home in New Mexico with an xtra room to contribute to the "underground railroad" thing. Just somewhere an escapee can crash while getting grounded again. And I'll bet there are thousands like me who want to help but don't know how other than joining monthly protests. We want to be a bigger part of the solution.

For now, small town New Mexico is pretty much off the radar as far as Co$ goes so it's easy to lay low here. That might change however, Co$ is looking to buy a building downtown which could create a SW version of Flag. God, I hope not! But for now, it's pretty safe here...

I would also happily help out with a "clearing house" organization if we could get this off the ground. But you ladies know more than I if this type of thing is even necessary. I would hope that right now the cult is hemorrhaging parishioners who need support and with our help even more might take the plunge.

k
<<

dwest

Clear

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:54 pm

<<

Grundy

Sticky Master

Post Mon May 12, 2008 7:05 pm

I know Kendra put this originally under General Chatter .. but it rightly should go here, and I need to clean up the Stickies/Announcements a little.

Return to Activism & Campaigns