Birthdays?

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

Xenuclosedthepool

EPFer

Post Thu May 01, 2008 11:13 pm

Birthdays?

I was just wondering, what were birthdays like for those of you growing up in Scn?
<<

Grundy

Sticky Master

Post Thu May 01, 2008 11:18 pm

Kinda of normal. Cake as kids. Presents. When on staff I would be given birthday cards from friends.

As adults - we don't usually tell everyone "TODAY'S MY BIRTHDAY!" so I have had people, even family, forget.

No biggie ...
<<

Xenuclosedthepool

EPFer

Post Thu May 01, 2008 11:21 pm

Did you guys do birthday parties? If so, were they just family? Or would you invite people over, have cake, games, music, decorations, etc etc?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just working on an idea I had and would like to know if the idea is actually viable :P
<<

Grundy

Sticky Master

Post Fri May 02, 2008 12:10 am

Birthdays is not something to have or avoid .. so Scntologists place no more or less attention on them than the rest of society .. cept LRH's birthday and that's the church that concentrates on that ..
<<

Xenuclosedthepool

EPFer

Post Fri May 02, 2008 12:16 am

The reason I'm asking is because there's a constantly upheld allegory to children being like "little adults" and I was wondering if it held true for birthdays aswell.
<<

Grundy

Sticky Master

Post Fri May 02, 2008 12:57 am

Someone else may have more data ... but not that I've seen.
<<

NoSOat10

OTIII

Post Fri May 02, 2008 3:30 am

I didn't grow up in the Sea Org or Cadet Org, but as the child of divorced parents who were active on-lines. We moved constantly - at least 17 places that I remember by age 14. I had one birthday party, at age 10. I think we invited 2 or 3 kids. I don't know if this is typical, but I don't remember going to many parties for other kids either. We'd always celebrate the day, just not with a party.
Don’t get interested in real estate. Don’t get interested in the masses of buildings, because that’s not important.
L. Ron Hubbard, Lecture Series: Anatomy of the Human Mind
Tape: The Genus of Dianetics and Scientology
Tape#: 6012C31
31 December 1960
<<

ImOut

OTIII

Post Fri May 02, 2008 4:03 am

Xenuclosedthepool wrote:Did you guys do birthday parties? If so, were they just family? Or would you invite people over, have cake, games, music, decorations, etc etc?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just working on an idea I had and would like to know if the idea is actually viable :P

My daughter was a Scn Kid - she had full on birthday parties - sleep overs, cake, ice cream, presents, etc. As an ex-Jehovah's Witness - Birthdays are a huge deal for me. I like to celebrate mine for 7 days, starting before my actual birthday. Also, as a kid, even before the JW's, bad stuff always happened on or near my birthday, so they are especially important to me. And they have to be super nice and super special.

My husband learned last year, that I'm serious about celebrating my birthday for 7 full days. And I expect (would greatly appreciate) a party. Maybe he'll remember this year. Or maybe I'll have one of my girlfriends remind him and help him set up a party.
Isn't it grand to be out!
<<

Clickman

OTIII

Post Fri May 02, 2008 4:00 pm

Those of us who were in the Commodore's Messenger Org, working directly for LRH, would always have a good birthday in the Sea Org when LRH was alive.

We always would get a great gift from LRH (bought by his PR person). They were great gifts. One year I got a 3 piece suit. Another year I got Tony Lama Cowboy boots, or an expensive stereo system.

My Ex-wife was a messenger for many years and every Christmas and on her birthday, she would get jewelry from LRH. Really nice stuff.

There would be a birthday cake and party in the Dining Room at Gold.

This all changed after 1986 when LRH died.

When I left, I had to give back jewelry that I paid for myself that had Sea Org or RTC symbols on them before I could leave. I also had to give back all my Sea Org towels that had Sea Org emblems on them.

They also took all my photographs that I had taken over the years. It was too bad, because I had some real incriminating photos of DM shooting guns.
If it's not fun and doesn't make you happy, DON'T DO IT !!!

School of Hard Knocks
<<

doubleVee

Forum Moderator

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:49 pm

I rarely had a party or anything after about age 5 or 6. Before that I had the typical cake, presents, kids over to visit thing. But my parents didn't seem to think it mattered. I think maybe they forgot sometimes. My dad was better at giving me a present than mom, because he was less of a good Scientologist and cared too much about MEST (objects).

Once I was in the SO, birthdays were irrelevant and unnoticed unless they meant something, for example when I turned 16 I was old enough to go for my GED and get out of Saturday "school", and when I turned 18 I was old enough to ADMIT to being worked late hours and to be RPFd if I was bad.

So many bad things tended to happen on and around my birthday, I tried to forget about it. For my 16th birthday my mom told me she was divorcing my dad. My grandparents gave me a cake and sang me happy birthday, which I really appreciate now. I was incredibly surprised at the time. I suppose they were annoyed that mom was ignoring my "sweet 16".

Now that I am a grown-up, I like to have birthdays again. I hesitate to make a big deal of them myself, but it always means a lot to me if people remember. I even had a cake last year. :)
Somebody has to speak for these people.... no more running. I aim to misbehave.... If you can't do something smart, do something right. (Serenity)
<<

doubleVee

Forum Moderator

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:50 pm

Clickman wrote:When I left, I had to give back jewelry that I paid for myself that had Sea Org or RTC symbols on them before I could leave. I also had to give back all my Sea Org towels that had Sea Org emblems on them.

They also took all my photographs that I had taken over the years. It was too bad, because I had some real incriminating photos of DM shooting guns.

I still have a lot of stuff that they should have taken. Photos, and an SO ring, and my SO logbook (with all the product levels). Maybe they will be useful somehow....
Somebody has to speak for these people.... no more running. I aim to misbehave.... If you can't do something smart, do something right. (Serenity)
<<

outlander

OT8 Class 12

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:15 pm

VV,

Lol, I had such a string of horrible things happen on my birthday too, that I just hid and cringed every time it was close. I didn't want people to know, didn't want a celebration and didn't want gifts!! I thought it only happened to me!

Seem the have broken the negative wave for a while, actually had several pleasant birthdays, including some memorable next mornings, including having one of my closest friends, mid 20's, ex army, a real player, take me out one night bar hopping, burned through his credit card, so I offered mine, don't remember much ... after that ... other than waking up next morning, laying on the floor of the company loby in my underwear, curled around my dog. Never did find my pants, did get a $1,500 collection of bar tabs, some of which seemed to even be my signature, and for weeks got mailed photos via email and snail mail with a dozen or two savory and unsavory women straddled across my lap while I was sprawled back in a chair in a club semi conscious. Real good blackmail material actually!

Birthdays in the SO were simple, people wishing happy birthday, a small gift or card from close friends, no one had much money, but my parents never forgot and always sent money. If you were in trouble on a birthday, it was totally ignored by friends and all.

As a Scientology kid, my mother never forgot to make birthdays special for us kids, my father didn't think much about them.
Create that of your life that which you would like to see in a changed world. Ghandi
<<

Iknowtoomuch

Suppressive Person

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:35 pm

After my mom moved to Pac, I didn't see another BD present till she was kicked out.
Not that I can blame my mom considering we were paid so little.
Last edited by Iknowtoomuch on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everybody has a right to believe what they want to believe. But I don't believe that anybody has a right to trick anybody, to hurt anybody, to harm some body, for their own purposes." - Jason Beghe
<<

Walker.

Clear

Post Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:35 pm

Sea Orgers don't get shit. Everyone else gets a regular birthday.
And this just feels like spinning plates
Our bodies floating down the muddy river
-Radiohead
<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:25 am

I think Walker summed it up pretty well. I wasn't in the Sea Org, and my parents were well-off, so my birthdays were usually lots of fun. Very normal, nothing Scientological about them at all.

Presents, cake, the usual.

Actually, my favorite birthday ever, my mom invited my girlfriends over, made me my favorite breakfast (scrambled eggs with cheese and cinnamon rolls!), and took us on a suprise trip to Catalina Island. I was blindfolded in the car until we got to the ferry. Fun!

*happy memory*

A very different story for Sea Org kids, though.

-Kendra
Us rabbits? DO something? - Wind in the Willows
<<

bosshog

Clear

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:25 pm

Iknowtoomuch wrote:After my mom moved to Pac, I didn't see another BD present till she was kicked out.
Not that I can blame my mom considering we were paid so little.

Pac?
<<

outlander

OT8 Class 12

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:38 pm

PAC - Pacific Area Command .... big blue ... the converted abandoned hospital in LA.
<<

James McGuigan

Ghost in the Machine

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:26 am

Walker. wrote:Sea Orgers don't get feces. Everyone else gets a regular birthday.

Grundy: Maybe it might be an idea to turn off the "rude" word filter...
Freedom is a choice. Choose to be yourself, choose to speak your truth and do so with compassion. And above all else, choose to be not afraid. If I can't dance, its not my revolution.
<<

Scarf

EPFer

Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:33 am

Yes, because from what I've read so far, Sea Orgers DO get feces.
Now these three things are for always: faith, hope and love, and the greatest of these is love.

Return to Advice & Answers for Non-Scientologists