Freeloader Debt

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

Dazed & Confused Outs

EPFer

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:45 pm

Freeloader Debt

I'm curious as to what actually happens if you fail to repay your freeloader debt to the CoS? Is it an actual imposed and recorded debt that will haunt your credit for years to come if you default or refuse to pay it back? I'm just curious...is it structured like a mortgage and they send you a coupon book? :?
"Well-behaved women rarely make history..."
<<

Orderous

Suppressive Person

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:02 pm

That is really a question about how legally binding the SO contract is.

If they have a legally binding contract that clearly states that leaving the SO will impose the cost of everything you've "credited" while in there, then yes, the freeloader debt is legally binding. However, this is contract the CoS allows to 14 year olds without legal counsel to sign, that alone sends the validity of the contract text itself flying out the window. And SO membership itself, for ANYONE, to be a non-contracted work situation.
The most important thing to learn about Life, the Universe, and Everything, is firstly; the answer is 42, and secondly; how utterly ridiculous it truly is
<<

Dazed & Confused Outs

EPFer

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:57 pm

Does anyone have first-hand experience with NOT paying back their debt? I'm just wondering what happens if you tell them to f-off and that you've left the CoS and aren't willing to repay a dime...
<<

outlander

OT8 Class 12

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:07 pm

Absolutely nothing happens if you don't repay the debt ... nothing legally or is reported on the credit bureau reports. You get told you are forfeiting your eternety, hurting the church, they need you, hurting yourself, hurting your family, etc. by not repaying, but it is really all hot air. If you are friendly about not paying (I don't have the money or any extra), they don't even get too nasty with you.
Create that of your life that which you would like to see in a changed world. Ghandi
<<

Iknowtoomuch

Suppressive Person

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:37 pm

They wont let you do any Scientology if you don't pay it off. That's about it.
"Everybody has a right to believe what they want to believe. But I don't believe that anybody has a right to trick anybody, to hurt anybody, to harm some body, for their own purposes." - Jason Beghe
<<

Dazed & Confused Outs

EPFer

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:11 pm

Iknowtoomuch wrote:They wont let you do any Scientology if you don't pay it off. That's about it.

But isn't the debt only assessed when you announce your intent to leave the CoS? If you're removing yourself from Scient., why would that be considered an incentive to pay it? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just fascinated by the nonsensical practices of all religions/cults/organizations, and Scientology provides me with so many points for thought!
<<

doubleVee

Forum Moderator

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:19 pm

There is no way they can make you pay them, and they don't try to enforce it (other than using guilt). They know they don't have a leg to stand on in court, anyway.

Initially, when I left the SO, I was not ready to cut myself off from Scientology. Most of us aren't (from what I gather). Almost all the people I knew who had left paid their debts, went back on course and in session. In fact, it seems to be a reaction to them telling you you are a degraded being, that you are a peice of evil trash. The person then says "no I'm not!" by going through the steps laid out by the Church to prove it (the Ethics Conditions). That is, pay off your debt, "make up the damage", and ask everyone to please let you back in. Once you are in "good standing" again you are free to pay them more money to go up the Bridge like a good little robot. I only knew 2 people who said "yeah right screw you" and left completely. That is, not counting me.

My debt was paid -- by my mother, even though I told her not to. I'm pretty sure that was NOT her initial idea, someone went and regged her for it. Otherwise I wouldn't have paid it - I was sending them $20-$50 per week, but it was a HUGE debt.

I even went ahead and did the Liability formula. But when I was done I knew that I was also done, because they wanted me to grovel to get back in (no way) and because I still wanted to leave. They teach that if you want to leave, that means you have unhandled ethics problems (= you did something bad). Once I knew that I was not in this situation and yet did not magically love Scientology again, that was the end. I was finished.

But it takes time to get there.
Somebody has to speak for these people.... no more running. I aim to misbehave.... If you can't do something smart, do something right. (Serenity)
<<

piginthecity

Non-E

Post Thu May 14, 2009 5:49 pm

Such a debt would certainly not be enforcable (In UK anyway, and I'm sure elsewhere)

Even if you have signed a piece of paper, a so-called 'contract', of the COS's own wording it wouldn't allow them just to charge you an arbitrary amount and call it a 'debt'.

A debt is only real if you've signed a contract lawful under the Consumer Credit Act and actually borrowed money. This would mean the COS would have to be registered as a money lender and be regulated. Also, they would have actually had to lend you the money, and you would have had to sign, or otherwise acknowledge that you've borrowed money, and several other conditions would apply as well.

As it's not a lawful debt it can't be used to affect your credit rating or anything like that. So tell them to get knotted !

Phil
<<

CherryTree

OTIII

Post Thu May 14, 2009 6:32 pm

The only thing that happens is that you are basicly "cursed out" of Scn, you can not do any services so on. But in real life it doesn't have any effect on your financial status, you can go into a bank and ask for a loan.
just when you thought it's all wrong it proved otherwise
<<

Dallas

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:19 pm

It's a completely arbitrary amount. They just total up all of your auditing hours and all your courses and then charge you the going rates. Then sometimes the will take things off sometimes they will add things like sec checks, etc.

They wouldn't give me mine when I left and even after when I asked for it. My dad thought I was going to pay it to get back into Scn shortly after we left and then told me someone at Flag told him my debt was $30K but they couldn't give him Jenna's.

Haha! They owe me about $300K in insufficient wages and they then want me to give them an additional $30K, now you know why Scnist have $0 equity in anything they own. It's a complete control scam

Return to Advice & Answers for Non-Scientologists