certainty?

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

speckledtrout

Clear

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:20 am

certainty?

K so Scn parent was describing a personality widget they test for to me and I don't get it and we asked her for an explanation a few times and I still don't get it:

"We first check for the degree of certainty the person has over their own reality." Apparently if the certainty factor is higher or lower it has something to do with your place on the tone scale but not in any way I'd ever heard of, and something about how many questions you ask...

What exactly that means I don't know?? :?:
<<

Anonymous9104

OT8 Class 12

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: certainty?

It means if you question the cult, in any way shape or form, by asking questions and being a critically thinking intelligent human being then they say you are low on the tone scale to discourage you from thinking for yourself and calling out their bullshit cult.
<<

speckledtrout

Clear

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:50 pm

OK, I don't think that's what it means per se....and I'm pretty sure that wasn't what my parents meant! I was looking for the what it is "supposed" to mean explanation.
Sorry you feel that badly about it though.
<<

Anonymous9104

OT8 Class 12

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:06 am

Why are you sorry I feel that way?

People are free to feel however they want... I'm not candy coated... As for what you meant your question to mean, let me elaborate on what I meant my answer to mean... you're parents of course likely had no negative intentions, but the entire 'ron the con' set up of his money making cult was created as such to discourage questioning, and be above reproach...
<<

speckledtrout

Clear

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:28 am

As for why I said I was sorry you felt that way: a lot of people have had extremely bad experiences that cause their feeling towards Scn. I felt a little sympathy might not go the wrong way in the event that you were one of them. That was all...

It's not that I don't agree that there is a system that discourages questioning, I just don't know what that particular term means or how it plays into it.

Feel free not to candy coat, I like my coffee black anyway :-P
<<

LronIsgonE_Snap

Suppressive Person

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:13 am

Speckledtrout, I can't guess exactly what your Scn parent meant. But when I see a Scn'tst discussing "certainty" or the lack thereof, it definitely raises the issue of suppression of critical thinking which Anonymous9104 has addressed. If you are not certain of your beliefs, then by definition you are "in doubt." From stories I have read, the Scn "Doubt Formula" is anything but a fair opportunity to consider alternatives in an even-handed manner in order to come to a "reasonable" conclusion. Rather, it is a harsh ethics action designed to bully the doubter into agreement with Scn dogma.
Enjoy your life today,
For time is fleeting.
<<

speckledtrout

Clear

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:37 am

Thanks, that's helpful. I'm familiar with not having my mind made up being seen as a "comm lag" and some kind of weakness when I want to consider something, but I hadn't heard this word before.

Return to Advice & Answers for Non-Scientologists