Huge Story about David Miscavige in the St. Petersberg Times

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

astra

Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Huge Story about David Miscavige in the St. Petersberg Times

This is a three part article and to say it is damning is the understatement of the century. Today is part one. I am also posting under Activism and Campaigns. Please forward this article by e-mail to everyone you know and ask them to forward it on. This is huge, and its about time Scientologists knew the truth about their abusive leader, about the IRS tax exemption and about what happened to Lisa McPherson. This article has it all.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/article1012148.ece
<<

invisible

ESK Reporter

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:20 pm

Here is another story http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2009/reports/project/ entitled "The Truth Rundown"

Hmmm, no it looks like the same story but maybe a different format?
"Be the change you want to see in the world."
--Gandhi
<<

invisible

ESK Reporter

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:25 pm

This link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM-wGKbTsHM is a response from Tommy Davis (phone interview) to the news breaking story above.
--Gandhi
<<

Orderous

Suppressive Person

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:48 pm

This isn't big, this is HUGE! I haven't even read half the article and things are already looking bad for Davey Boy. Although there are a few points, like when Rathburn said that all the beatings he preformed were by DM's orders, that I really don't believe. The fact that there was an attitude and air that allowed that type of behaviour should be enough to sit up and take this seriously.

To quote one of the posts from WWP;
Shit, meet fan!
The most important thing to learn about Life, the Universe, and Everything, is firstly; the answer is 42, and secondly; how utterly ridiculous it truly is
<<

Jo

EPFer

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:07 pm

I listened to all the audio on the Tampa Bay site -- http://tampabay.com/specials/2009/repor ... onse.shtml -- recordings of Tommy Davis *trying* to explain it away... it's really disturbing to listen to. He sounds like he's about two seconds from crying or breaking down and trying desperately not to say something that would incur another beating from DM. I almost feel sorry for the guy.

He's so panicked, and taking potshots at everyone and anyone and screeching about how everything Marty Rathbun claims DM did, he did himself... well let me just say as joe blow listener... he sounds like a madman.

You know when other religions are accused of things (*cough*catholic church molestation*cough) the church just remains painfully silent. This "religion" is unique in it's single minded venture of "annhiliating" the credibility of the source, and makes them look soooo foolish.

He's digging his own grave.

You know, I do feel sorry for Tommy. He was born into it, and he's knee deep in a cult just like all the rest. He'd probably behave much like Marty or Mike or Tory if he ever got out and had some time to recover.
<<

LronIsgonE_Snap

Suppressive Person

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:32 am

Kudos to the SP Times for this series and the related multimedia content. It is noteworthy that Mike Rinder and Marty Rathbun have chosen to speak out publicly, but they are much more anti-DM than anti-CoS. DM's letter, where he laments the lack of opportunity for "annihilating the credibility of your sources," is transparently disingenuous, since the editor notes that they have been trying to interview DM, in person or by phone, ever since May 13.
Enjoy your life today,
For time is fleeting.
<<

invisible

ESK Reporter

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:34 am

There is more folks!

FLORIDA PAPER DOES MAJOR STORY ON SCIENTOLOGY

http://prorev.com/2009/06/florida-paper-does-major-story-on.html

St Petersburg Times - Mark C. "Marty" Rathbun left the Church of Scientology staff in late 2004, ending a 27-year career that saw him rise to be a top lieutenant in the organization. For the past four years, he has lived a low-profile life in Texas. Some speculated he had died.

In February, Rathbun posted an Internet message announcing he was available to counsel other disaffected Scientologists. "Having dug myself out of the dark pit where many who leave the church land," he wrote, "I began lending a hand to others similarly situated."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ex-Scientology executives say physical abuse was common among management

http://blog.taragana.com/n/report-ex-scientology-executives-say-physical-abuse-was-common-among-management-88392/

The leader of the Church of Scientology struck his subordinates numerous times and set an example for physical violence among the tightly controlled religion’s management team, four former high-ranking executives told a newspaper for a story published Sunday.

The executives who have since left the organization told The St. Petersburg Times that they witnessed David Miscavige, chairman of the board that oversees the church, hit staff members dozens of times.
“It was random and whimsical. It could be the look on your face. Or not answering a question quickly. But it always was a punishment,” said Mike Rinder, who oversaw the church’s legal and media relations operations. Rinder said he was struck many times by Miscavige and that he also hit others before leaving in 2007.

In a response to the paper, the church denied the allegations, saying that the four former executives statements were “absolute and total lies,” and the claims are an effort to tarnish Miscavige, who has led the church for more than two decades. A spokesman said Sunday the church provided documentation that the claims the four made were false.

Marty Rathbun, who served on the church’s board and was a top lieutenant of Miscavige’s, said he was often ordered by Miscavige to attack others.
Tom De Vocht, who for years oversaw the church’s spiritual headquarters in Clearwater, estimated that during one three-year period, he saw Miscavige strike staffers as many as 100 times. He left in 2005.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TAMPA BAY PAPER THROWS DOWN HARD-HITTING SCIENTOLOGY REPORT
http://www.allfeedz.com/tampa-bay-paper-throws-down-hard-hitting-scientology-report_2443.html
The St. Petersburg Times is running a massive report on Scientology, focusing on leader David Miscavige and high-ranking defectors spilling on him. Revealed: Miscavige’s sadistic temper. Like when he made staffers play ‘violent’ musical chairs, scored to Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody.”

The three-part expose, which continues tomorrow and on Tuesday, had Times reporters out doing serious nose-to-the-grindstone reporting, gathering history, interviews, and sitting for hours with Scientology flacks and reps. They published plenty of material Scientology gave them, including a letter from Miscavige about him not being interviewed for the article, though the Times asserts that they “first requested an interview with Mr. Miscavige on May 13, and offered to meet with him in person, or interview him by telephone at any time since.”

The St. Petersburg Times has a deep history with Scientology. The paper, a neighbor by about thirty minutes to the church’s Clearwater headquarters, has had a long history of covering Scientology. Freedom, a magazine working as a mouthpiece for Scientology, once ran a piece on the St. Petersburg Times having a glass ceiling on women and minorities after accusing them of inflammatory coverage.

Notable: Scientology sat down with St. Petersburg Times reporters for 25 hours trying to debunk the defectors’ tales of Miscavige. They even went to far to prepare them binders of the private confessions and ethics files - yeah, ethics files - of former members. One commenter writes in on their website: “As a former Scientologist of 20 years, its sad to see that the chruch would stoop to using members confessionals against them. How can anyone trust anything they say if they violate their own teachings.”
In the report, Marty Rathbun, a former Scientologist, notes that Miscavige was a “deteriorating spiral” after he was named in an amended complaint against Scientology in the civil suit over the death of Lisa McPherson. According to Rathbun, he became “violent and irrational,” going to so far as to assault and punch other Scientology executives from their International Council, including Marc Yager (chairman of Scientology’s “Watchman Committee”) and Mike Rinder (a former Scientology spokesman). Rinder was supposed to put a BBC story about Miscavige hitting staffers to rest. Two years ago, he flat-out denied it. Now, he confirms. Rinder was also the spokesperson who issued Scientology’s denial in the infamous suicide of Scientology member Noah Lottick. Rinder blamed Lottick’s Scientology-questioning parents on their son’s death. Nothing about Lottick appears in the article, but there’re two more days of this thing to get through. Tom De Vocht, who used to oversee the Clearwater headquarters, got slapped around by Miscavige as well. He came forward to speak about it after defecting for the Times, too.
--Gandhi
<<

invisible

ESK Reporter

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:35 am

Scientology's response to church defectors: 'Total lies'

Tampa Bay Times report
http://www.tampabay.com/news/article1012138.ece
The Church of Scientology pressed vigorously Friday to delay publication of the Times' Scientology story. Its spokesmen and lawyers said that the few days the newspaper gave the church to respond to Mike Rinder, who only recently agreed to go public, was not enough time. The church also said the Times needs to talk to more people.

Church spokesmen, executives, attorneys and others flew in from around the country to meet with reporters in Clearwater. The parade started with ex-wives of the three male defectors. All three are Scientologists still. Each praised Miscavige's visionary leadership and said their ex-husbands can't be trusted.

Jennifer Linson said her ex, Tom De Vocht, had a reckless streak. Anne Joasem said her ex, Marty Rathbun, "lives for war.'' Cathy Rinder said her ex is so out of touch with their children he doesn't know his 24-year-old son has skin cancer.

Next came Norman Starkey, a church executive who knew Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. He said Miscavige never attacked him. "I know everything he is doing is exactly in line with what Mr. Hubbard had in mind.''

Hubbard biographer Danny Sherman told a story of Miscavige spotting an injured sparrow, talking to it and checking back later to see if it lived. "It was immensely tender.''

New York lawyer Eric Lieberman said he has represented the church 32 years and worked with Rathbun, who he said is aggressive and prone to ill-advised decisions.

After eight hours, when reporters readied to leave, church spokesman Tommy Davis brought in nine senior members of the management team. They stood shoulder to shoulder in front of the exit and insisted they be heard. Marc Yager, Guillaume Lesevre, Ray Mithoff, Mark Ingber, all said Miscavige never struck them.

"I stayed up all night, scribbled notes on a piece of paper of things I had to tell you,'' Lesevre said. "And obviously you don't want to hear me. Fine. I want it on record that you don't want to hear what I've got to say."

Ray Mithoff: "These guys are attacking — they're not just attacking him, they're attacking my whole religion and saying things about my base, the place I've worked for 27 years.''

Greg Wilhere, yelling, said, "Mr. Miscavige never hit, abused anyone. And I know it better than anyone because I've been by his side more than Rinder, Rathbun and the rest of them.''

David Bloomberg: "Do you not think that you are perhaps being used as a pawn in a very sick game?"

Lyman Spurlock: "What they want to do is extort money from the church. … and right now the St. Pete Times is their extortion vehicle. ... you're just their lackeys. They're using you."
--Gandhi
<<

Jo

EPFer

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:54 am

Cool! The story has been picked up by the Associated Press (AP) and is now spreading like wildfire: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... gD98VCOOG0

Even just google "Miscavige" and look at the news links.

http://news.google.ca/news?hl=en&q=misc ... 4&ct=title
<<

astra

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:03 pm

Here is part two of three:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/article1012234.ece

It was also in the Los Angeles times today.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 0242.story

Let's get these articles out to everyone we know. It is about time Scientologists knew the truth about their leader.
<<

Orderous

Suppressive Person

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:09 pm

Associated Press picked up on it and wrote an article that has spread like wildfire according to the links I found on WWP.

Hell, even Norway news has it now
The most important thing to learn about Life, the Universe, and Everything, is firstly; the answer is 42, and secondly; how utterly ridiculous it truly is
<<

LronIsgonE_Snap

Suppressive Person

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:37 pm

One of the posters on WWP set up a convenient and easily remembered shortcut to access the SP Times articles and videos:

http://www.truthrundown.org
Enjoy your life today,
For time is fleeting.
<<

BC

Non-E

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Is this just an article or did someone actually file charges against Miscavage for abuse?
<<

Dallas

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:36 pm

I think the best part is the church's psycho response. I mean they are about to be banned in France and no one shows up, but all of a sudden Dave gets ridiculed and the whole Int Base shows up.

I mean Tommy lies through his teeth once again, but best is how he blows up just like he did with BBC which got him busted then. But I guess they won't ask Mike to clean up for him this time. Also how would he know what went on over the years when he was stuck at CCInt getting sec checked by PAC RTC Reps for botched Celeb cycles, like the time that someone walked in on John Travolta's session by "accident" didn't hear anything but then Tommy briefs us on what they thought they could have heard.

Then Greg Wilhere coming forth was classical since he was the one assigned to be Dave's execution arms in handling Jenna and Myself during our hiatus to Big Bear, CA. Dave of course never brought himself into the picture so we got to deal with Greg, Marty, Mike, Sue Wilhere, Claire Headley, Mike Sutter, Jenny Linson (De Vocht), etc. But that time specifically when Greg was our handler it was because Marty was way too busy in the midst of the McPherson trial to come down himself. That was the summer of 2002.
<<

invisible

ESK Reporter

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:31 pm

One of the things that sticks out for me in Tommy's response is, he knew of scientology official's violence toward one another. So the violence is not being disputed. However, why was nothing done to prevent this violence? Could it be that it was just part of the environment? I think of it this way, people living in an abusive environment tend to accept the violence. They may know it's wrong but they accept it as part of their life.

They have a PR nightmare on their hands and I don't think they are going to easily make it go away.
--Gandhi
<<

invisible

ESK Reporter

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:33 pm

Here are more links and quotes from articles about the article on tampabay.com

Report: Violence common among Scientology managers

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hQalWpLPYi0hvw-OOc9ftz53zDGgD98VCOOG0

The leader of the Church of Scientology struck his subordinates numerous times and set an example for physical violence among the tightly controlled religion's management team, four former high-ranking executives told a newspaper for a story published Sunday.

The executives who have since left the organization told The St. Petersburg Times that they witnessed David Miscavige, chairman of the board that oversees the church, hit staff members dozens of times.

"It was random and whimsical. It could be the look on your face. Or not answering a question quickly. But it always was a punishment," said Mike Rinder, who oversaw the church's legal and media relations operations. Rinder said he was struck many times by Miscavige and that he also hit others before leaving in 2007.

In a response to the paper, the church denied the allegations, saying that the four former executives statements were "absolute and total lies," and the claims are an effort to tarnish Miscavige, who has led the church for more than two decades. A spokesman said Sunday the church provided documentation that the claims the four made were false.

Marty Rathbun, who served on the church's board and was a top lieutenant of Miscavige's, said he was often ordered by Miscavige to attack others

Scientologists believe spiritual enlightenment is possible by ridding the mind and soul of the accumulated, unwanted effects of this lifetime and innumerable previous lifetimes through an intense counseling process called "auditing." Auditors use a device called an "e-meter," similar to a polygraph.

Parishioners pay hundreds and even thousands of dollars for the auditing services and progress through various levels of "Operating Thetan." Those seeking to achieve the highest "OT" levels visit Clearwater.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
More Interesting Times.
http://blackfish.biz/allen/?p=557
One really funny thing is, there is a rumor going around that Scientology was so alarmed by this feature that they’ve had people going all around Tampa Bay buying up every issue of the Times they could get their hands on. I’ve looked around a bit and yes, all the Sunday edition of the Times are sold out. Having some experience in the newspaper business I can tell you that some circulation manager is rubbing his hands together in glee right now. I can say that I did find one box with papers in it in Largo. I drove by around 25 empty ones this evening.
I went to the World Protest Scientology day on Saturday, it was rather small, only about a dozen people showed including a couple of gents from Sarasota who didn’t seem to fit the “anon” type, they were both very overweight, did not protest and were going on and on about PIs and Scientology members with cameras. I told them that after the first couple of protest the Flag people were more or less leaving the protesters alone. They seemed disappointed.
However this small group made one sortie in the blazing Florida heat. They marched over to Ft Harrison and Gulf to Bay, then waved at the beach traffic and listened to the love in the form of blaring car horns. Flag hired a couple of Clearwater’s finest to make sure the Anons didn’t rob a bank or something. We spoke with one of them who was pretty concerned that we had enough water (there were several cases.) he told me that Clearwater has several thousand Bosnians living here now and they were a bigger problem than Scientology.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Tommy Davis Loses it
http://xenutv.wordpress.com/2009/06/21/tommy-davis-loses-it/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Former Scientologists tell stories of violence
http://xenutv.wordpress.com/2009/06/21/tommy-davis-loses-it/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Scientology leader 'violent', former officials
http://livenews.com.au/entertainment/scientology-leader-violent-former-officials/2009/6/22/210725
In a string of accusations, Miscavige is accused of psychologically intimidating his staff – including an incident involving a bizarre, violent game of “musical chairs” with Queen’s hit song ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ on a loop.

The accusers, two former lawyers and two spokespeople from the church, have opened up with the explosive claims after leaving Scientology for their own individual reasons.

The accusations come from two of Miscavige’s closest associates, Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder – the two highest ranking members of the Church - to speak out against the practices of the controversial organization to date.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
High level Scientology defectors expose David Miscavige and cult practices
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/people/news/article_1484955.php/High_level_Scientology_defectors_expose_David_Miscavige_and_cult_practices
Spokesman for the Scientology Association, Eric Roux, speaks to the press as he arrives at the Tribunals in Paris, France, 25 May 2009, to attend a trial against seven members of the Church of Scientology, classified as a sect in France, who are accused of illegally prescribing drugs. The case stems from a French woman who filed an official complaint against the organization, claiming to have paid the church more than 20,000 euros (28,000 dollars) for lessons, books, drugs and an 'electrometer', a device that according to Scientology can measure a person's mental state. EPA/MAXPPP/MARLENE AWAAD

Four high ranking Scientology leaders have defected from the Scientology movement and are talking to the press about the inner workings of the cash-driven L. Ron Hubbard construct, and its current leader David Miscavige.

The ex Scientology leaders have gone on record with The St. Petersburg Times; the news outlet is running a massive three-part report on Scientology focusing on leader David Miscavige that gives a chronology of when and why Hubbard chose Clearwater, Florida as his U.S. hub for the cult's operations, how people are broken down and indoctrinated into the group and how the sect legally bullied the I.R.S. into granting them tax exemption like any other religious organization.
Miscavige's reported alleged sadistic temper is also revealed in the expose that claims he used classic cult indoctrination methods like sleep deprivation, isolation and made Scientology staffers play 'violent' musical chairs, scored to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody."
--Gandhi
<<

invisible

ESK Reporter

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:16 am

There were expectedly many more article today................

Scientology: Ecclesiastical justice, Part 3 of 3 in a special report on the Church of Scientology

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scientology/article1012575.ece

They called it the Hole.

For months, the small building at the California base was like a prison for more than 30 of the highest-ranking officers in the Sea Org.

They could leave only once a day, for a shower, otherwise they stayed put. Food was brought in. They slept on the floor, men around the conference table, women in the cubicles and small offices ringing the room.

Miscavige called meetings at odd hours, 2 a.m., 4 a.m. Day after day, the exhausted executives puzzled through management structure and the pricing system for church services, trying to guess what their leader wanted.

He rejected their ideas, cursed them, branded them "suppressive persons" who put their church at risk. He demanded they go back at it; they could not leave until they got it right.

Sometimes Miscavige would let someone out of the Hole or throw in somebody else. Rinder says he was there from the start. In January 2004, Miscavige added De Vocht to the mix.

"Everyone gathered around the table. He's throwing things, yelling at people, beating people up," De Vocht remembered. "It was a weirdo scene, let me tell you."

Later that month, Miscavige threw a bigger name into the Hole: Marty Rathbun.

The leader told the others not to listen to a word Rathbun said, he was not to be trusted: I know you all have come to respect this guy over the years, but he is the guy that's f----- me up.

A few days earlier, Rathbun says, Miscavige had pushed his head against a wall and slapped him hard across his left ear for not being tougher on the staff. He figures that must be what landed him in the Hole.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CoS investigation gets worldwide response

http://www.tampabay.com/news/article1012324.ece
The Church of Scientology is a hot topic any day on the Internet. But now the blogosphere has lit up with comments about the St. Petersburg Times' special report on Scientology leader David Miscavige and the details revealed by two key figures in Scientology's powerful inner circle,Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder, the highest-ranking executives to leave the church. Here are some of the latest comments and posts from other media sources.

In a post headlined Scientology exposed as newspaper, former members defy church intimidation, Charles McAlpin writes at Examiner.com about the three-day series:

"What makes these revelations so ground-breaking is that just ten years ago, such articles might not have been possible. Since the 1970's, the Church of Scientology has been known to be ruthless in its attacks on critics and reporters. In 1991, Time magazine published an article entitle "Scientology: Cult of Greed." For the next ten years, the church sued the reporter, the magazine, and the parent company (Time Warner). Not until 2001 was the final lawsuit thrown out by the court. News organizations like the St. Petersburg Times, however, lack the wealth and resources of Time Warner. Furthermore, there have been repeated allegations that Scientology used personal attacks, rumor-mongering, harassment, and other tactics to break the will of critical reporters. Only Scientology knows how many have been intimidated into silence. ( http://tiny.cc/hHwHV )

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Scientology Exposed: Tom Cruise’s Strange Pal

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/spress/2009/06/22/scientology-exposed-tom-cruises-strange-pal/
this year I wrote “Death By Devotion” about my personal experiences with Scientology and the founder of its Celebrity Centre, Yvonne Jentzsch, a faithful devotee of Lafayette Ronald Hubbard who was cast aside when she became ill.

Now the St. Petersburg Times has done a massive expose on David Miscavige, who took over from Hubbard in running the so-called religion. Before heading up Scientology, Miscavige was (among other things) a financial messenger for Hubbard, depositing monies in European banks and thus knowing where it all could be found when the science-fiction writer turned guru died at his ranch in central California screaming about “body thetans” he thought were haunting and bedeviling him. Miscavige, who like Cruise and Travolta apparently never finished high school, was recruited for Scientology’s “Sea Organization” by a well-known Hollywood producer who has since left; at the time she was a member of Hubbard’s “Commodore’s Messenger Organization.” She told me about illegal operations she and others did at Hubbard’s direction, such as breaking into NASA. Given that I dated the secretary and best friend of Hubbard’s last wife Mary Sue, who went to prison due to the Scientology “Operation Snow White” affair, I grew used to hearing of abuses over the years but had no way to prove them to authorities. After experiencing enough of them myself, I left.

If you want the inside story of the purported beatings inflicted by Miscavige on his executives and how he explodes at the slightest provocation, as well as other stunning revelations, watch this video.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
Tom Cruise Lured Back Into Scientology By Man The Church Now Says Was "Demoted" And A "Lunatic"

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/archives/2009/06/tom_cruise_lure.php

The Times reporters, for example, were told by church officials that Rathbun had been "demoted" in 2003 for "masquerading as an ethics officer," whatever that means. Davis, meanwhile, calls Rathbun a "lunatic."

Beghe asks: if Rathbun was "demoted" and a lunatic, why did Miscavige give Rathbun one of the most important tasks in Scientology's recent history - luring Tom Cruise back into the church?

"Tom had essentially disconnected from the church for the previous ten years. Most people don't know that," Beghe says. "So if Marty was a lunatic, why would Miscavige give him the job to bring Tom back in, the most important job in the church at that time?"

Beghe says this occurred about four years ago, which would be well after Rathbun's supposed "demotion."

Beghe says that he and Cruise were working with Rathbun at the same time at the Celebrity Centre in Los Angeles. "While I was in session with Marty, Tom was in the waiting room. And vice versa."

"While Marty was auditing Tom, I was the other pre-clear being audited by Marty, who was considered the best auditor on the planet. Do you think Miscavige would send a lunatic to get his top prospect back in the fold?"

"Tommy Davis at that point was an up-and-comer. He was also Tom Cruise's handler," Beghe says. "I spent hours and hours with Tommy Davis and Marty Rathbun together. And I can tell you something, I swear to God. That kid's voice went up an octave when he was around Marty. He fawned on him like Marty was a demigod. He idolized him. Marty was the epitome of what a Sea Org member was supposed to be. And now they're making out that he was demoted? It's bullshit."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Newspaper series alleges 'physical violence' by leaders of Church of Scientology

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/06/newspaper-series-alleges-physical-violence-by-leaders-of-church-of-scientology.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Report: Ex-Scientologist ordered evidence destroyed in death of woman under church care

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-us-scientology-death,1,4822511.story

A former high-ranking Scientology official who handled the case of a mentally ill member who died under church care ordered the destruction of incriminating evidence to cover up missteps, a newspaper reported Monday.

The ex-official and church defector, Marty Rathbun, had for years insisted the church did nothing wrong in handling the case of Lisa McPherson's death on Dec. 5, 1995. But he recently told the St. Petersburg Times the church botched the woman's case from the start.

The church dismisses Rathbun as a bitter former member who inflated his importance. The church said he had been demoted in 2003; he left in 2004.

Rathbun said he initially wanted to go to the state attorney's office after the 36-year-old's death, but he instead followed the church's culture to never admit fault. He and others removed papers from McPherson's files, including a caretaker's opinion that the situation was out of control and the patient needed a doctor.

"I said, 'Lose 'em,' and walked out of the room," Rathbun told the newspaper.

McPherson's death prompted investigations, lawsuits and has remained a talking point among Scientology critics.

A wrongful death case was settled with McPherson's family in 2004 under undisclosed terms. And while investigations brought charges of criminal neglect and practicing medicine without a license, they were later dropped when a coroner changed the cause of death to an accident from undetermined.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Skepfeeds-The Best Skeptical blogs of the day

http://skepfeeds.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/death-in-slow-motion-part-2-of-3-in-a-special-report-on-the-church-of-scientology/

He disclosed that the church was prepared to pay almost any price to make the case go away. He said he sent an emissary to McPherson’s funeral in Dallas with authority to give her mother, Fannie, whatever she wanted. The approach was rebuffed because the family didn’t trust the church.

“Whether it was financially or any other thing, we’re taking care of that woman because it was on our watch. If she needed $5 million, we would have come up with $5 million.”

Church officials say Rathbun is a bitter ex-member who inflated his importance in Scientology and whose motives are suspect. They say Miscavige demoted Rathbun in 2003 in part for missteps he made in the McPherson case.

A settlement agreement with the woman’s family forbids them from providing specifics, said Monique Yingling, a long-time Scientology attorney and friend of Miscavige. Still, she said that Rathbun botched the case from the start, and “possibly caused the whole thing.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ex-Scientologist ordered evidence destroyed in death of woman under church care

http://blog.taragana.com/n/report-ex-scientologist-ordered-evidence-destroyed-in-death-of-woman-under-church-care-88971/

Church Of Scientology Under Attack

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2009/06/22/church_of_scientology_under_attack_1

Church of Scientology elders are defending the celebrity religion against reports one of the faith's leading figures beat subordinates and promoted violence among senior officials. A group of former executives of the church, which counts Tom Cruise and John Travolta among its high-profile members, has claimed chairman David Miscavige repeatedly struck staff members.

But church leaders are strongly denying the claims, which made up an article in the St. Petersburg Times in Florida over the weekend.

One whistle blower, Mike Rinder, claims, "It was random and whimsical. It could be the look on your face. Or not answering a question quickly. But it always was a punishment.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Church of Scientology Goes On The Defensive, Reveals Tactics Used To Control Staff, Members

http://glosslip.com/2009/06/23/church-of-scientology-goes-on-the-defensive-reveals-tactics-used-to-control-staff-members/

Miscavige’s mouth-piece, Tommy Davis, already known for having a hair-trigger temper and a face which buckles under the weight of his own lies, may finally break down and completely lose it. No one man, despite his fervent loyality, can withstand the pressure of keeping this many lies straight. If men like Rinder and Rathbun are willing to come forward and take responsibility for their part in abusing members and breaking the law, there is virtually NOTHING Miscavige, Davis or Scientology’s billions in ill-gotten gains can do to prevent the flow of truth from spewing forward.

From my perspective, it’s all over but the crying.

Stay tuned for more on this story.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reigns of terror

http://www.getreligion.org/?p=13876

Say what you will about the Church of Scientology, but its members are tenacious. I have some friends who left the church probably 25 years ago and they are still routinely contacted by members who, shall we say, encourage them to be careful with what they say about the church. And what’s interesting about that is that my friends actually have quite a few positive things to say about the church and what they got out of it.

If you want to get a taste of how this tenacity plays out, you simply must read the St. Petersburg Times’ engrossing three-part series on the church (part one, part two, part three is coming). Reporters Joe Childs and Thomas Tobin speak with four former members — some of whom were incredibly high up in the organization. They are careful to balance each of the claims made by these former members with the official position of the church.

It’s riveting. One of the former members is Mike Rinder, a high-ranking executive perhaps best known for a 2007 confrontation with a BBC reporter where he denies that Scientology leader David Miscavige physically abused his underlings. The first part of the series discusses the accusations by the former members that Miscavige engages in physical abuse.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cruise, Travolta's Church of Scientology chairman accused of violence

http://story.malaysiasun.com/index.php/ct/9/cid/f825b92e19df636a/id/510825/cs/1/

Scientology exposed as newspaper, former members defy church intimidation

http://www.examiner.com/x-8922-Portland-Skepticism-Examiner~y2009m6d22-Scientology-exposed-as-newspaper-former-members-defy-church-intimidation

What makes these revelations so ground-breaking is that just ten years ago, such articles might not have been possible. Since the 1970’s, the Church of Scientology has been known to be ruthless in its attacks on critics and reporters. In 1991, Time Magazine published an article entitle “Scientology: Cult of Greed.” For the next ten years, the church sued the reporter, the magazine, and the parent company (Time Warner). Not until 2001 was the final lawsuit thrown out by the court. News organizations like the Saint Petersburg Times, however, lack the wealth and resources of Time Warner. Furthermore, there have been repeated allegations that Scientology used personal attacks, rumor-mongering, harrassment, and other tactics to break the will of critical reporters. Only Scientology knows how many have been intimidated into silence.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Explosive series on Scientology

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/faith/2009/06/explosive_series_on_scientolog.html

Between the criminal trial in France and the new cable and online advertising campaign in the United States, we had been planning to post something here about Scientology. Now comes a remarkable series in the St. Petersburg Times containing explosive allegations against church leader David Miscavige by four formerly top-ranking Scientology officials.
--Gandhi
<<

invisible

ESK Reporter

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:17 am

There were expectedly many more articles today................

Scientology: Ecclesiastical justice, Part 3 of 3 in a special report on the Church of Scientology

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scientology/article1012575.ece

They called it the Hole.

For months, the small building at the California base was like a prison for more than 30 of the highest-ranking officers in the Sea Org.

They could leave only once a day, for a shower, otherwise they stayed put. Food was brought in. They slept on the floor, men around the conference table, women in the cubicles and small offices ringing the room.

Miscavige called meetings at odd hours, 2 a.m., 4 a.m. Day after day, the exhausted executives puzzled through management structure and the pricing system for church services, trying to guess what their leader wanted.

He rejected their ideas, cursed them, branded them "suppressive persons" who put their church at risk. He demanded they go back at it; they could not leave until they got it right.

Sometimes Miscavige would let someone out of the Hole or throw in somebody else. Rinder says he was there from the start. In January 2004, Miscavige added De Vocht to the mix.

"Everyone gathered around the table. He's throwing things, yelling at people, beating people up," De Vocht remembered. "It was a weirdo scene, let me tell you."

Later that month, Miscavige threw a bigger name into the Hole: Marty Rathbun.

The leader told the others not to listen to a word Rathbun said, he was not to be trusted: I know you all have come to respect this guy over the years, but he is the guy that's f----- me up.

A few days earlier, Rathbun says, Miscavige had pushed his head against a wall and slapped him hard across his left ear for not being tougher on the staff. He figures that must be what landed him in the Hole.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CoS investigation gets worldwide response

http://www.tampabay.com/news/article1012324.ece
The Church of Scientology is a hot topic any day on the Internet. But now the blogosphere has lit up with comments about the St. Petersburg Times' special report on Scientology leader David Miscavige and the details revealed by two key figures in Scientology's powerful inner circle,Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder, the highest-ranking executives to leave the church. Here are some of the latest comments and posts from other media sources.

In a post headlined Scientology exposed as newspaper, former members defy church intimidation, Charles McAlpin writes at Examiner.com about the three-day series:

"What makes these revelations so ground-breaking is that just ten years ago, such articles might not have been possible. Since the 1970's, the Church of Scientology has been known to be ruthless in its attacks on critics and reporters. In 1991, Time magazine published an article entitle "Scientology: Cult of Greed." For the next ten years, the church sued the reporter, the magazine, and the parent company (Time Warner). Not until 2001 was the final lawsuit thrown out by the court. News organizations like the St. Petersburg Times, however, lack the wealth and resources of Time Warner. Furthermore, there have been repeated allegations that Scientology used personal attacks, rumor-mongering, harassment, and other tactics to break the will of critical reporters. Only Scientology knows how many have been intimidated into silence. ( http://tiny.cc/hHwHV )

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Scientology Exposed: Tom Cruise’s Strange Pal

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/spress/2009/06/22/scientology-exposed-tom-cruises-strange-pal/
this year I wrote “Death By Devotion” about my personal experiences with Scientology and the founder of its Celebrity Centre, Yvonne Jentzsch, a faithful devotee of Lafayette Ronald Hubbard who was cast aside when she became ill.

Now the St. Petersburg Times has done a massive expose on David Miscavige, who took over from Hubbard in running the so-called religion. Before heading up Scientology, Miscavige was (among other things) a financial messenger for Hubbard, depositing monies in European banks and thus knowing where it all could be found when the science-fiction writer turned guru died at his ranch in central California screaming about “body thetans” he thought were haunting and bedeviling him. Miscavige, who like Cruise and Travolta apparently never finished high school, was recruited for Scientology’s “Sea Organization” by a well-known Hollywood producer who has since left; at the time she was a member of Hubbard’s “Commodore’s Messenger Organization.” She told me about illegal operations she and others did at Hubbard’s direction, such as breaking into NASA. Given that I dated the secretary and best friend of Hubbard’s last wife Mary Sue, who went to prison due to the Scientology “Operation Snow White” affair, I grew used to hearing of abuses over the years but had no way to prove them to authorities. After experiencing enough of them myself, I left.

If you want the inside story of the purported beatings inflicted by Miscavige on his executives and how he explodes at the slightest provocation, as well as other stunning revelations, watch this video.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
Tom Cruise Lured Back Into Scientology By Man The Church Now Says Was "Demoted" And A "Lunatic"

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/archives/2009/06/tom_cruise_lure.php

The Times reporters, for example, were told by church officials that Rathbun had been "demoted" in 2003 for "masquerading as an ethics officer," whatever that means. Davis, meanwhile, calls Rathbun a "lunatic."

Beghe asks: if Rathbun was "demoted" and a lunatic, why did Miscavige give Rathbun one of the most important tasks in Scientology's recent history - luring Tom Cruise back into the church?

"Tom had essentially disconnected from the church for the previous ten years. Most people don't know that," Beghe says. "So if Marty was a lunatic, why would Miscavige give him the job to bring Tom back in, the most important job in the church at that time?"

Beghe says this occurred about four years ago, which would be well after Rathbun's supposed "demotion."

Beghe says that he and Cruise were working with Rathbun at the same time at the Celebrity Centre in Los Angeles. "While I was in session with Marty, Tom was in the waiting room. And vice versa."

"While Marty was auditing Tom, I was the other pre-clear being audited by Marty, who was considered the best auditor on the planet. Do you think Miscavige would send a lunatic to get his top prospect back in the fold?"

"Tommy Davis at that point was an up-and-comer. He was also Tom Cruise's handler," Beghe says. "I spent hours and hours with Tommy Davis and Marty Rathbun together. And I can tell you something, I swear to God. That kid's voice went up an octave when he was around Marty. He fawned on him like Marty was a demigod. He idolized him. Marty was the epitome of what a Sea Org member was supposed to be. And now they're making out that he was demoted? It's bullshit."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Newspaper series alleges 'physical violence' by leaders of Church of Scientology

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/06/newspaper-series-alleges-physical-violence-by-leaders-of-church-of-scientology.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Report: Ex-Scientologist ordered evidence destroyed in death of woman under church care

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-us-scientology-death,1,4822511.story

A former high-ranking Scientology official who handled the case of a mentally ill member who died under church care ordered the destruction of incriminating evidence to cover up missteps, a newspaper reported Monday.

The ex-official and church defector, Marty Rathbun, had for years insisted the church did nothing wrong in handling the case of Lisa McPherson's death on Dec. 5, 1995. But he recently told the St. Petersburg Times the church botched the woman's case from the start.

The church dismisses Rathbun as a bitter former member who inflated his importance. The church said he had been demoted in 2003; he left in 2004.

Rathbun said he initially wanted to go to the state attorney's office after the 36-year-old's death, but he instead followed the church's culture to never admit fault. He and others removed papers from McPherson's files, including a caretaker's opinion that the situation was out of control and the patient needed a doctor.

"I said, 'Lose 'em,' and walked out of the room," Rathbun told the newspaper.

McPherson's death prompted investigations, lawsuits and has remained a talking point among Scientology critics.

A wrongful death case was settled with McPherson's family in 2004 under undisclosed terms. And while investigations brought charges of criminal neglect and practicing medicine without a license, they were later dropped when a coroner changed the cause of death to an accident from undetermined.

Skepfeeds-The Best Skeptical blogs of the day

http://skepfeeds.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/death-in-slow-motion-part-2-of-3-in-a-special-report-on-the-church-of-scientology/

He disclosed that the church was prepared to pay almost any price to make the case go away. He said he sent an emissary to McPherson’s funeral in Dallas with authority to give her mother, Fannie, whatever she wanted. The approach was rebuffed because the family didn’t trust the church.

“Whether it was financially or any other thing, we’re taking care of that woman because it was on our watch. If she needed $5 million, we would have come up with $5 million.”

Church officials say Rathbun is a bitter ex-member who inflated his importance in Scientology and whose motives are suspect. They say Miscavige demoted Rathbun in 2003 in part for missteps he made in the McPherson case.

A settlement agreement with the woman’s family forbids them from providing specifics, said Monique Yingling, a long-time Scientology attorney and friend of Miscavige. Still, she said that Rathbun botched the case from the start, and “possibly caused the whole thing.”

Ex-Scientologist ordered evidence destroyed in death of woman under church care

http://blog.taragana.com/n/report-ex-scientologist-ordered-evidence-destroyed-in-death-of-woman-under-church-care-88971/

Church Of Scientology Under Attack

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2009/06/22/church_of_scientology_under_attack_1

Church of Scientology elders are defending the celebrity religion against reports one of the faith's leading figures beat subordinates and promoted violence among senior officials. A group of former executives of the church, which counts Tom Cruise and John Travolta among its high-profile members, has claimed chairman David Miscavige repeatedly struck staff members.

But church leaders are strongly denying the claims, which made up an article in the St. Petersburg Times in Florida over the weekend.

One whistle blower, Mike Rinder, claims, "It was random and whimsical. It could be the look on your face. Or not answering a question quickly. But it always was a punishment.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Church of Scientology Goes On The Defensive, Reveals Tactics Used To Control Staff, Members

http://glosslip.com/2009/06/23/church-of-scientology-goes-on-the-defensive-reveals-tactics-used-to-control-staff-members/

Miscavige’s mouth-piece, Tommy Davis, already known for having a hair-trigger temper and a face which buckles under the weight of his own lies, may finally break down and completely lose it. No one man, despite his fervent loyality, can withstand the pressure of keeping this many lies straight. If men like Rinder and Rathbun are willing to come forward and take responsibility for their part in abusing members and breaking the law, there is virtually NOTHING Miscavige, Davis or Scientology’s billions in ill-gotten gains can do to prevent the flow of truth from spewing forward.

From my perspective, it’s all over but the crying.

Stay tuned for more on this story.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reigns of terror

http://www.getreligion.org/?p=13876

Say what you will about the Church of Scientology, but its members are tenacious. I have some friends who left the church probably 25 years ago and they are still routinely contacted by members who, shall we say, encourage them to be careful with what they say about the church. And what’s interesting about that is that my friends actually have quite a few positive things to say about the church and what they got out of it.

If you want to get a taste of how this tenacity plays out, you simply must read the St. Petersburg Times’ engrossing three-part series on the church (part one, part two, part three is coming). Reporters Joe Childs and Thomas Tobin speak with four former members — some of whom were incredibly high up in the organization. They are careful to balance each of the claims made by these former members with the official position of the church.

It’s riveting. One of the former members is Mike Rinder, a high-ranking executive perhaps best known for a 2007 confrontation with a BBC reporter where he denies that Scientology leader David Miscavige physically abused his underlings. The first part of the series discusses the accusations by the former members that Miscavige engages in physical abuse.

Cruise, Travolta's Church of Scientology chairman accused of violence

http://story.malaysiasun.com/index.php/ct/9/cid/f825b92e19df636a/id/510825/cs/1/

Scientology exposed as newspaper, former members defy church intimidation

http://www.examiner.com/x-8922-Portland-Skepticism-Examiner~y2009m6d22-Scientology-exposed-as-newspaper-former-members-defy-church-intimidation

What makes these revelations so ground-breaking is that just ten years ago, such articles might not have been possible. Since the 1970’s, the Church of Scientology has been known to be ruthless in its attacks on critics and reporters. In 1991, Time Magazine published an article entitle “Scientology: Cult of Greed.” For the next ten years, the church sued the reporter, the magazine, and the parent company (Time Warner). Not until 2001 was the final lawsuit thrown out by the court. News organizations like the Saint Petersburg Times, however, lack the wealth and resources of Time Warner. Furthermore, there have been repeated allegations that Scientology used personal attacks, rumor-mongering, harrassment, and other tactics to break the will of critical reporters. Only Scientology knows how many have been intimidated into silence.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Explosive series on Scientology

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/faith/2009/06/explosive_series_on_scientolog.html

Between the criminal trial in France and the new cable and online advertising campaign in the United States, we had been planning to post something here about Scientology. Now comes a remarkable series in the St. Petersburg Times containing explosive allegations against church leader David Miscavige by four formerly top-ranking Scientology officials.
--Gandhi
<<

LronIsgonE_Snap

Suppressive Person

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:06 pm

In response to charges levied against him by CoS exec David Bloomberg in the SP Times package, Jeff Hawkins has posted a brilliant satirical piece.

"How I Beat Up David Miscavige"

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?s=cb4259a5852614e0396652ee718bf163&t=12060
Enjoy your life today,
For time is fleeting.
<<

invisible

ESK Reporter

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:04 pm

:lol: Thanks for posting that link.
--Gandhi
Next

Return to ESK & Scientology in the News