Post Tue May 11, 2010 12:12 am

Is Scientology misunderstood?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100509164929AA9oiqr

It's a fairly new thing and we constantly hear about all this crazy stuff that Scientologists believe. However, is it possible that we've just been hearing all the bad things? Scientology is a fairly new religion (as religions go), so it's quite easy to pick on it. Do you think that maybe the media just makes it out to be really stupid and cultish and we just buy it because we don't trust any religion that's not been around for hundreds of years? We all hear about this sort of War of the Worlds scenario that Scientologists supposedly believe and that they have to pay in order to further enlighten themselves. However, do you think that maybe we're just being fed all the bad stuff? We don't really hear about any of the good that Scientology does. All we hear is Tom Cruise acting like a madman spokesperson for the entire religion.

I mean, it's not even faith based. From what I can gather, it's just about being a good person and doing good by others (which is basically the same as any other religion). Why are we so accepting of century old religions like Christianity and Judaism, but then shun the newer ones like Scientology? They're all basically the same anyway.

By the way, I'm not a Scientologist. I'm not anything, incidentally, except curious for your opinions!
"Be the change you want to see in the world."
--Gandhi