Post Sat May 15, 2010 12:19 am

“Too Gruesome”

http://leavingscientology.wordpress.com/2010/05/14/too-gruesome/

I just finished Amy’s book, Abuse at the Top. A must-read. Of course, there was not a lot totally new to me, as I lived it along with Amy. But I was vividly reminded of the poisonous atmosphere at the Int Base, and the insanity that surrounds David Miscavige.

I was also reminded of a phrase I had mercifully forgotten: “too gruesome.” It’s a noun. It’s used like this: “give him a ‘too gruesome’.”

It comes from HCO Policy Letter of 5 January 1968, “Overfilled In-Basket, Bad News.” LRH says:

“MAKE THE PENALTIES FOR NONCOMPLIANCE AND FALSE REPORTS TOO GRUESOME TO BE FACED AND ENFORCE THEM.”

In the same issue, he also said, “It takes far more ethics and far steeper, enforced penalties to make an organization work than Scientologists have been using.”

This was written in 1968, the year that “overboards” were instituted on the ship. And chain locker imprisonment. And cleaning out the bilges. Too gruesome.

Later that same year, LRH wrote, in HCO PL 4 October 68, “Ethics Presence,” “Men will keep the accounts straight only because you can muster bayonets to enforce that they do.”

I don’t know what LRH was running into that caused him to write such things. But they did set the tone for the Sea Org in 1968 – and thereafter. I well remember the arrival of a Sea Org Mission in 1968 where I was working, in Pubs Org Denmark. We soon had our own “overboardings” (buckets of icy water thrown at staff by a “firing squad), running “laps” up and down the stairs, and “noncompliant” people imprisoned in the elevator shaft. The stench of fear permeated the place. It was, in a word, gruesome.....................
"Be the change you want to see in the world."
--Gandhi