OKAY .. I will be the first

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

Grundy

Sticky Master

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:09 am

It is true, that there are many ways to learn those things. I happened to learn them in Scientology.
<<

AnonyMozart

Clear

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:39 pm

Yes, but you could have learned them without the pain and abuses of co$. There is already enough pain in growing up without adding more crap. When I read about all you and others went through with scientology, I am surprised that you could ever trust anyone again, much less function in society.

And (drumroll), you coulda kept your beard! :D :D
Scientology, how about that? You hold on the the tin cans and then this guy asks you a bunch of questions, and if you pay enough money, you get to join the master race. How's that for a 'religion'? - Frank Zappa
<<

Grundy

Sticky Master

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:03 pm

It wasn't all bad. It was fun at times.

And I didn't experience half as much abuse as others. Or, because of how I was raised, I could let it roll off of me more ...
<<

The Chief

Clear

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:28 pm

There is no way you could be anything but the sum of your experiences. However learning to walk again after you got knocked down by a bus and your leg shattered does not mean that you life is inherantly better for having gotten knocked down.

That's the sad truth of it.
<<

Holden Caulfield

PTS Type III

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Anonspring wrote:
I've been practicing it for about a year and a half now. I'm trying to reach 1 kyu by the end of this year.

Kendo is very Japanese in the fact that like every other Japanese art form, the point is to try to reach a point of perfection that is impossible to reach (and they KNOW it's impossible to reach).

I admire that mindset, and work it into my daily life.

It's also not an olympic sport for that very reason. The Japanese consider it an art form, not a sport, and putting it in the olympics would turn it into one. Kendo is a journey of self discovery, and it is, more often than not, a tough path to follow. I used to, and sometimes still do, go home from practice in tears. It's not uncommon to feel humiliated and angry during practice. The difference, I think, is that people expect it and know what's coming, and choose to participate in it anyway. It's not kept secret, and you're not prevented from leaving if you find it to be too much.

I would compare it more to the military than a cult to be honest. It was modeled off samurai training after all.

I've been doing it for about a year as well, and having lots of second thoughts about whether I should continue or not. Coming from a Scientology background I am both drawn to and put off by the self-humiliating aspect you mentioned. I know exactly where you're coming from - I've made a number of faux passes in the dojo that made me want to die on the spot. However, there is a mentality that if you do your best you're accepted, only you can always do better than your best.

It's a sport that comes with a whole value system that can be off-putting at times and rewarding at others.

Lately my interest had cooled down a bit and I've been coming to practice less. I find the keiko drills hard, difficult to incorporate everything and tend to defend rather than attack. As you said, it's a journey albeit a goddamn tough one. I'd love to continue and hope I choose to. As an atheist, this is as close to "spirituality" that I'll ever get I think.

Do you have your own bogu?
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."
<<

whizkid

EPFer

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:14 pm

It sounds like you had good parents that loved you. I do not know but I bet that is the case with Suri Cruise.
<<

Grundy

Sticky Master

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:05 pm

The Chief wrote:There is no way you could be anything but the sum of your experiences. However learning to walk again after you got knocked down by a bus and your leg shattered does not mean that you life is inherantly better for having gotten knocked down.

That's the sad truth of it.

I didn't make a comment earlier, but thinking about it, I do have a response.

I do think that anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger. So having been knocked down and gotten up, I think DOES make me better for it.
<<

The Chief

Clear

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:13 pm

It might make you stronger, granted. You might be better versed to deal with people messing with your head. Some of the hardest experiences are the most rewarding, such as climbing Everest, or space travel, or any one of a number of punishing experiences.

However as far as I can tell the only thing anyone actually gets out of Scientology is "I SURVIVED!!!" and a lot of bad memories. Even to the hardships in life there are learning experiences. I don't think any quadruple amputee can say their life is better for having lost their limbs. Many Scientologists have lost 20 years of the best part of their lives to the cult. Those are 20 years they can't get back, and for little more than an "experience"?

I can't honestly agree with that logic. I think it's a logic taken of an uncomfortable truth that they used you for many, many years, and one I don't blame you for. You should be able to take something positive from the years in Scientology, no matter what it might be. However to attribute it to anything other than your own ability to survive an oppressive environment is just undervaluing yourself. You know that in the absence of light, any source of light is greatly enhanced by the nature of the human eye. This effect applies emotionally as well.
<<

Grundy

Sticky Master

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:14 pm

At the begining of this thread I stated what I got out of Scientology. Whether there are different or better ways to achieve the same things is immaterial to the point of the thread.

The point of the thread was that there WERE things I got out of Scientology.
<<

nazlfrag

Non-E

Post Sun May 11, 2008 7:25 pm

It simply sounds like you grew up and approached spiritual questions, and when you became an adult you were subjected to indoctrination that the rest of society feels illogical and dangerous. Your viewpoints are legitimate, but the foundation of those views is corrupt. Scientology can only destroy lives, they have no way to make them better. There is a way out, it's here on the net, we are all here for those who have been wronged by the cult.
<<

Grundy

Sticky Master

Post Sun May 11, 2008 7:40 pm

You know .. remember .. this is the Pro-Scientology forum ..

And, it doesn't really matter what viewpoint you have. I have my own. So, good luck with that.

And if I was incapable of seeing the negative .. I wouldn't be an admin here would I?
Previous

Return to Pro Scientology