Phychiatry? O,O

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

ILuvThistles

Clear

Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:56 am

anonangel wrote:
ILuvThistles wrote:A psychiatrist is actually a medical doctor. They rarely do therapy. Mostly visiting them is like seeing any kind of doctor without the blood tests and clinical setting. It just takes a very few minutes and you talk about symptoms and side-effects.

There is one small error in this statement that I'm aware of because a friend of mine was on a certain medication but I don't remember the name. With some medications the psychiatrists office does take blood for blood tests, it's all dependent on what kind of medication the psychiatrist puts you on. I think the tests are to make sure it's not damaging to internal organs but I'm not sure since I've never been on any that need blood tests. I prefer a really good therapist, but am aware that sometimes I need medication. I hope you don't mind me putting this small correction here. Other than that I agree with everything else you've said here.
Angel

You are absolutely right. Some antipsychotics require periodic blood tests to test liver function. This is just a precaution in the off chance that they start to affect the liver. They are spaced so that if there were a problem it would be caught well in time. However I've never been to a psychiatrists office where they actually have nurses taking blood. If the psychiatrist were in a practice with other types of doctors, or if they practiced out of a hospital or clinic they could probably do the tests right then and there. Otherwise I figure they have you go to your regular doc for the blood tests.

It looks like pretty soon there will be a blood test for bipolar disorder. I think it will be used mostly to determine treatment more than to diagnose. Im not sure. So with all the research being done now the day may not be too far off where psychiatrists will have nurses and labs in their offices.
"For evil to flourish, it only requires that good men do nothing"--Simon Wiesenthal
<<

anonangel

Clear

Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:03 am

Yeah, this was at a clinic, I don't remember if my dr.'s at regular offices drew blood, but you're most likely right about that. I have to go back in and be put back on meds soon which I hate. I do what I call rollercoastering, might be bi-polar but not sure. I wish they had reliable blood tests for these disorders because I know of several cases where people where misdiagnosed for years.
Angel
<<

ILuvThistles

Clear

Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:16 pm

"blood tests could hit the market in as little as 5 years." --

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23337532/
"For evil to flourish, it only requires that good men do nothing"--Simon Wiesenthal
<<

anonangel

Clear

Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:31 pm

Thanks for finding this thistles, this sounds very promising. The part of the article where it talks about "Big Brother", I can see were it could be misused by the government especially with low income people on medical assistance. Hopefully if the tests do come out they will have the same rules as with HIV testing, I don't believe the results are legally allowed to be disclosed to anyone other than the patient but I'm not 100% sure on that. This will be something to watch and see what happens for sure.
Angel
<<

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:26 am

Sunflower:

One thing that Scientology borrowed from Psychology/Psychiatry is that people can develop certain ingrained behaviors or feelings. But they aren't engrams due to body thetans, engrams, or some goofy previous life. Got bit by a dog as a kid, you may be afraid of dogs as a adult.

Psychologists and Psychiatrists both deal with counseling, but Psychiatrists are also doctors capable of proscribing meds.

1) If you do see a psych, make sure they listen to you. They shouldn't try and pidgeonhole you into some pet/favorite theory of yours.

2) If your psychiatrist thinks medication may help ( And trust me, it can work ), be aware of a few things.

a) It can take several weeks for the meds to take affect, and maybe a month or two for side effects to go away as your body adapts. If after 90s the side effects have not improved, or the drug appears to not be working, a worthwhile psychiatrist will then work with you to find a dose or drug that will. All people are different, and brain chemistry plays a MASSIVE role in drug efficacy. So what works for one person does not work for another. If you doctor refuses to listen to your concerns, find another!

3) You can also see about finding a licensed counsellor. These are not psychs, but they are accredited by the state, and are trained listeners. They can not proscribe meds, and they aren't dogmatic about trying to fit your mental state into some psychological theory. They are there to listen, to find flaws in your thinking ( "I am worthless" ), and offer suggestions. So these may be the best place to start. I went to a counsellor while having a rough time at my last job. And merely being able to talk to her probably prevented me from having a massive mental breakdown.

Lastly, get some exercise. The world is wonderous, and scary at the same time. But you are young. You can be anything you want if you part your heart into it. Find what makes you happy and persue it.
<<

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:37 pm

*long time lurker* not sure why I'm bumping this old post, i just felt compelled to add my 2 cents here.

I personally have found both psychologists and psychiatrists useless. The only thing they ever did to me was make me feel guilty for having wasted my parents money. I wasn't slacking in school and staying out all night because I was mentally unbalanced. I was just lazy and young. The mental oddities in my head were completely separate and benign.

However, if I had to choose between one method and the other, I'd pick the drug-peddlers any day over the wackjobs at $cientology. At least Adderall kept me up on a number of nights so that I could finish some much procrastinated homework.

I do recognize that psychiatric therapy has helped a great many people, just not myself.

And that's about it.
Previous

Return to The Vault