[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Ex Scientology Kids • View topic - nature or nurture

nature or nurture

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

goodlife

EPFer

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:43 pm

nature or nurture

I recently posted a short description of my experience in leaving the sea org and then getting on with life in the real world. The main reason I posted it was to help those still struggling with leaving and hopefully give them a little confidence to just get out of there and not look back.

I was having dinner the other night with some of my extended family (whom I never knew growing up but am now very close with) and, as ever, the subject of scientology came up. I told them about what is happening these days with tom cruise and anonymous, etc. Then I mentioned this site and the post I made and we discussed my experiences at some length.

They still to this day do not understand how I can be so “decent” and “normal” (their words) despite having known nothing but the sea org throughout my entire childhood. They just think it’s a bloody miracle I got out. Well actually, they being family, think somehow my genes managed to out-think scientology but they can’t explain my parents still being in.

But it left me wondering… why is it that some kids get out of there and some do not? I mean look at DM. He got in when he was a ten year old kid and ended up at the top. At least he had a home, a backyard and some toys which many of us didn’t. But he stayed, he never wavered and he is now the devil incarnate.

How many of us have watched someone we got on well with and maybe even considered a friend then turn into a rude little prick after being promoted to a higher org or post? Why is that? Is it the person or is it scientology/the sea org taking over their minds? Or is it a combination of both?

I don’t know about you but there were some sea org members and even scientology public that I would not piss on if they were on fire. And I still wouldn’t to this day. They were utter assholes through and through. I don’t care how much they told me they were sorry I still wouldn’t forgive them. Kind of like that guy who told Kendra her friend “deserved it” when she was sent to the MK ranch, they would have to literally save the world before I gave them the time of day.

But then there are some people I knew that were really cool, if they knocked on my door tonight I would welcome them in with open arms, even if they were still a scientologist. They aren’t likely to be as most of the decent people I knew left before me or have left since. And thinking about it there is actually only one guy that I know is still in that I would be so welcoming to. But anyways…

My theory is this. I believe there is a certain type of person that takes to scientology or the sea org like a duck to water. They thrive on the insanity of it all and the ability to treat other people like utter garbage whenever they want.

Many of us had our moments for sure. But like Twin A’s story on ESMB you instantly felt bad about it and apologized. The people I’m talking about never said sorry to me or anyone else that I know of.

So, as my post title suggests, is it nature or nurture that creates these monsters?

Are there people out there who did do horrible unspeakable things to others who are really decent and just couldn’t help themselves?

This is mainly directed at the SO kids to be honest as I have yet to meet up with any XSO member that I didn’t get on with when we were in the sea org together. All the ones I’ve met since being out are cool now and they were cool back then too.

Just curious what you guys think.

If I’m right in my theory then DM would be like the perfect storm. That combination of despicably selfish, evil and intolerant personality mixed with insane circumstances creating in the end pure, unchecked and ever increasing cruelty to those around him.
<<

ChaoticPsychotic

OTIII

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:50 pm

I think that it is nature.

I have studied quite a bit of criminal psychology and my take is that bad people are just bad.

Of course, it could be argued that a good person could be turned bad - the nurture aspect of it but I think that you have to have some inherent badness to begin with.

There's my 5 cents. Errr 2 cents.
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently" - Nietzsche
<<

Orderous

Suppressive Person

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:02 pm

The most important thing to learn about Life, the Universe, and Everything, is firstly; the answer is 42, and secondly; how utterly ridiculous it truly is
<<

breezy

EPFer

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:45 am

<<

Baloo

EPFer

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:07 am

Re: nature or nurture

<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:03 pm

Last edited by Tru2form on Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

goodlife

EPFer

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:43 pm

<<

Orderous

Suppressive Person

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:09 pm

The most important thing to learn about Life, the Universe, and Everything, is firstly; the answer is 42, and secondly; how utterly ridiculous it truly is
<<

baldheadedanon

Clear

Post Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:26 pm

Whatever you do will be
insignificant, but it is very
important that you do it.

-Mahatma Gandhi-
<<

goodlife

EPFer

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:10 pm