The cost of Scientology

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

nikkoleranger

EPFer

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:36 pm

[quote="Tru2form"]Well I think it would be really interesting to see how much everyone remembers. Anyone who's taken services at CoS and remembers the price: please post the service you took, the approximate year you took it, and what it cost.

I don't remember most of my course costs, because as I said, my parents paid for everything, but I saw the reciepts for a few.

Oh, another one of mine: Key to Life / Life Orientation Courses: around $9000.00 in 1992 at AOLA.[/quote]

WHAT !? $9000.00 !? Are you serious? What did you get out of a $9000.00 course? How did it help you to improve your life? How long was the course?Can you repair airplanes now? I don't mean to make light of it but that is one year college tuition (in state).
The more I read about Co$ the more blown away I am.
RLTW
<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:44 pm

nikkoleranger wrote:
Tru2form wrote:Well I think it would be really interesting to see how much everyone remembers. Anyone who's taken services at CoS and remembers the price: please post the service you took, the approximate year you took it, and what it cost.

I don't remember most of my course costs, because as I said, my parents paid for everything, but I saw the reciepts for a few.

Oh, another one of mine: Key to Life / Life Orientation Courses: around $9000.00 in 1992 at AOLA.

WHAT !? $9000.00 !? Are you serious? What did you get out of a $9000.00 course? How did it help you to improve your life? How long was the course?Can you repair airplanes now? I don't mean to make light of it but that is one year college tuition (in state).

Not much, being that I was 9 years old at the time.

Also, the fact that a huge chunk of the course involves "learning" the definitions of "common words" like a, an, the, if, or and of.

Whee.
Us rabbits? DO something? - Wind in the Willows
<<

nikkoleranger

EPFer

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:17 am

[quote="Tru2form"][quote="nikkoleranger"][quote="Tru2form"]Well I think it would be really interesting to see how much everyone remembers. Anyone who's taken services at CoS and remembers the price: please post the service you took, the approximate year you took it, and what it cost.

Oh, another one of mine: Key to Life / Life Orientation Courses: around $9000.00 in 1992 at AOLA.[/quote]

The more I read about Co$ the more blown away I am.[/quote]

Also, the fact that a huge chunk of the course involves "learning" the definitions of "common words" like a, an, the, if, or and of.

Whee.[/quote]
For $9000.00 i will teach you everything there is to know about every small arms weapon in the U.S. inventory. including how to maintain ,clean,repair and use it in extreme combat conditions. For an extra $1000.00 I'll throw in a used pair of size 13 desert combat boots.
RLTW
<<

nikkoleranger

EPFer

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:39 am

[quote="anonynom"][quote]Key to Life / Life Orientation Courses[/quote]

WTF? Isn't that called "infancy"? I lul'd.[/quote]

lol
RLTW
<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:39 am

nikkoleranger wrote:
Tru2form wrote:
nikkoleranger wrote:
Tru2form wrote:Well I think it would be really interesting to see how much everyone remembers. Anyone who's taken services at CoS and remembers the price: please post the service you took, the approximate year you took it, and what it cost.

Oh, another one of mine: Key to Life / Life Orientation Courses: around $9000.00 in 1992 at AOLA.

Whee.

For $9000.00 i will teach you everything there is to know about every small arms weapon in the U.S. inventory. including how to maintain ,clean,repair and use it in extreme combat conditions. For an extra $1000.00 I'll throw in a used pair of size 13 desert combat boots.

lol! Now that's what I call Life Orientation.
<<

Holden Caulfield

PTS Type III

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:55 pm

nikkoleranger wrote:Also, the fact that a huge chunk of the course involves "learning" the definitions of "common words" like a, an, the, if, or and of.

Words like a, an, the, if, or, etc are closed class words meaning that they hold no lexical content on their own but function like glue to stick other open class words (nouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs) together to form phases, clauses or sentences.

a, an, the are determiners functioning as articles that appear before and modify or specify a noun. Example:The car, a car, depending if the noun is countable or uncountable.

if is a subordinate conjunction that connects two clauses in order to form a sentence. Example: I would drink coffe if it didn't taste like crap.

of is a preposition, which is one of the closed class words used before a noun phrase in order to specify location or sense of time. Example 1: The book is on the table. Example 2: The blue car came after the red car.

There, I just saved you all $10,000. :roll:
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."
<<

nikkoleranger

EPFer

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:56 am

[quote="Holden Caulfield"][quote="nikkoleranger"]
Also, the fact that a huge chunk of the course involves "learning" the definitions of "common words" like [u]a, an, the, if, or[/u] and [u]of[/u].
[/quote]

Words like [i]a, an, the, if, or,[/i] etc are closed class words meaning that they hold no lexical content on their own but function like glue to stick other open class words (nouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs) together to form phases, clauses or sentences.

[i]a[/i], [i]an[/i], [i]the[/i] are determiners functioning as articles that appear before and modify or specify a noun. Example:[i]The[/i] car, [i]a[/i] car, depending if the noun is countable or uncountable.

[i]if[/i] is a subordinate conjunction that connects two clauses in order to form a sentence. Example: I would drink coffe[i] if [/i]it didn't taste like crap.

[i]of[/i] is a preposition, which is one of the closed class words used before a noun phrase in order to specify location or sense of time. Example 1: The book is [i]on[/i] the table. Example 2: The blue car came [i]after[/i] the red car.

There, I just saved you all $10,000. :roll:[/quote]

Thanks
RLTW
<<

SaintBastard

Pirate

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:54 am

Wow... I just saved $10,000 on shit I already knew and could find in a library... or online... so simple, a cave-man could do it.

Dewy Decimal System/Google- 1
KTL/LOC-$10,000 per person

Someone ain't stirrin the kool-aid.
The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it.

Frank Herbert
<<

Thalkirst

EPFer

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:56 pm

About a year ago, when I was still a Scientologist, I was talking to an OT VIII and asked her how much did it cost for her altogether.

She told me it was altogether 500,000 USD + 100,000 USD for all the three L's.

That sum just included payments for service and no donations.
Ex Sea Org member
My blog about SO and Scn abuses in Hungarian: http://objektivszcn.blog.hu/
<<

stuckin

OTIII

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:45 pm

About a vear ago my husband sat me down and had put together a spread sheet of all my spendings...including what I spent from the sale of his business... it was for services $483,000 ( I rounded up) then in donations 162,000 ( rounded off). That doesn't included from then to now.

They don't help you after they take all your $$$ and you fall on your a$$.
<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:51 pm

stuckin wrote:About a vear ago my husband sat me down and had put together a spread sheet of all my spendings...including what I spent from the sale of his business... it was for services $483,000 ( I rounded up) then in donations 162,000 ( rounded off). That doesn't included from then to now.

They don't help you after they take all your $$$ and you fall on your a$$.

WOAH. That's quite a sum, sistah. I used to ask people I knew how much they'd spent all together, and they'd be like, "Oh, only around 100,000", which I knew was total BS because I personally had seen them spend more than that.

You think people that are in are kinda in denial about how much they've spent?

One woman, who'd spent her life savings on Scn and was scrabbling for work, told me "But spiritual freedom is PRICELESS!"

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but the word "priceless" means "without cost".
<<

stuckin

OTIII

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:30 pm

I spend the money my grandfather left me upon his passing, talked my husband into selling his Biz and moving from FL to CA, that's what the org wanted me to do. Then moved to the middle of nowhere to leave but the Cos is everywhere. Now I live in the mid-west and they are here and doing a real hard sell on me once again....

I feel like I'm on a mental rollercoaster that never ends.
<<

James McGuigan

Ghost in the Machine

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:51 pm

There was a course they used to run in the days before the Key To Life. It simply involved going through the entire dictionary, word by word, and clearing each and every definition. My mother did it and they used the term "super-literate" to described those who had completed it.

As for the KTL, maybe not the most life-changing experience I have had, and I couldn't recite the 25+ different definitions of the word "to", and I've lost practice in saying my alphabet backwards.

However word clearing all the small words is probably not a bad thing to do, as they tend to be ones with the most numerous and context sensitive meanings, which we all tend to just understand intuitively. So the KTL is not a bad course, but for the cost of it (favourite word/definition on the course was my last usage of the word "but" - had to find a way to use it in this post).
Freedom is a choice. Choose to be yourself, choose to speak your truth and do so with compassion. And above all else, choose to be not afraid. If I can't dance, its not my revolution.
<<

Public Clammer

OTIII

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:17 pm

costs and stuff

Def of "on" = "above and supported by"

Cost of KTL and LOC (per fallible recall) approx = $10K

Must have been "on" something to lay out that much money ....

Oops, wrong def...
The Public Clammer!
<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:55 am

James McGuigan wrote:There was a course they used to run in the days before the Key To Life. It simply involved going through the entire dictionary, word by word, and clearing each and every definition. My mother did it and they used the term "super-literate" to described those who had completed it.

As for the KTL, maybe not the most life-changing experience I have had, and I couldn't recite the 25+ different definitions of the word "to", and I've lost practice in saying my alphabet backwards.

However word clearing all the small words is probably not a bad thing to do, as they tend to be ones with the most numerous and context sensitive meanings, which we all tend to just understand intuitively. So the KTL is not a bad course, but for the cost of it (favourite word/definition on the course was my last usage of the word "but" - had to find a way to use it in this post).

HAAAH, I *just* had a conversation with someone about this.

ESK is now issuing an official challenge to anyone who has done KTL/LOC:
We go through a fictional book, read you a sentence, choose a small common word, and you tell us which definition it is.

You can do that, and I'll give you the fruit roll up out of my lunch box for a week.

I can still say the alphabet backwards, though. ;)
<<

stuckin

OTIII

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:58 pm

I do believe people are in denial about what they spend and "donate"

Personally, I knew I spent alot, but I wouldn't admit to the "real" sum even to myself. When my 2.d put it in my face, in black and white, there's no denying it. I felt bad. That could have put all the kids though college, but still I put more money into the org....how messed up is that?!
<<

AnonymousID-V42B

Clear

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:50 pm

Holden Caulfield wrote:
-Mindboggling Complex Stuff-

There, I just saved you all $10,000. :roll:

Dark Lordy of Hentai. Wasn't this stuff explained on School House Rock that used to be shown between Saturday Morning Cartoons? Or was there no cartoons allowed in Scientology?

:wtf:
"If David Miscaviage declared hell suppressive, I would make at least a favorable reference to the Devil in /b/."
~Anonymous
<<

James McGuigan

Ghost in the Machine

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:59 pm

Regarding the price list, it mentions at the top that there is a 10% discount for being an Annual IAS member, and 20% for being a lifetime member (thus most Scientologists sign up to the IAS)

Prices from memory, at St Hill, UK, about 7-8 years ago where in the region of £300 GBP per year annual and £3000 for a lifetime membership.
Freedom is a choice. Choose to be yourself, choose to speak your truth and do so with compassion. And above all else, choose to be not afraid. If I can't dance, its not my revolution.
<<

James McGuigan

Ghost in the Machine

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:09 pm

Tru2form wrote:ESK is now issuing an official challenge to anyone who has done KTL/LOC:
We go through a fictional book, read you a sentence, choose a small common word, and you tell us which definition it is.

Then the book I would suggest, that all Scientologists should be very familiar with:

Alice in Wonderland

PS. Mad Hatter's Tea Party: In this style 6/10.
PPS. You didn't think it was a price did you? Time is money and therefore money is time.
PPPS. 6th October or 10th July. Its a date!
PPPPS. Jam yesterday and jam tomorrow, but never jam today.
<<

James

EPFer

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:47 pm

What it costs is what you have + what you can borrow + your mental and physical health + your family = Everything.

Don't go there.
PreviousNext

Return to General Chatter