DELPHI OREGON the news you're not supposed to know

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

MsBustaMove

EPFer

Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:55 pm

DELPHI OREGON the news you're not supposed to know

Hi All,

I would like to hear from others out there on the things we’re not supposed to talk about regarding Delphi in Sheridan, Oregon. Maybe that actually applies to this whole web site.

Here’s the scoop. I attended Delphi for about 6 years from the late 1970’s into the early 1980’s. I was one of the few, and usually the only, non-scientologist student there. Of course, all the staff were members.
I had a ton of trouble being bullied and beat up in elementary school. My parents had had enough and looked around for alternatives for me. Delphi was it. At 11 years of age, what difference did I know?
I did know that I cried for 2 weeks straight. I missed my parents and my home terribly. But boarding school has a way of making you independent pretty quickly, like it or not, in a kind of resentful, jaded kind of way.
So I quit when I almost-but-not-quite made it through Level 3. Shows my age, I know. Levels are gone. Forms are the thing. For you youngsters, there were a total of 4 levels to graduate. I took the Level 3 test, got a massive pink sheet and a severe tongue lashing from the Dean (for those who were there, you know of whom I speak, along with her damn little dog that everyone hated). So, this is crap, and I split. This conveniently coincided with the massive recession that we saw in the early 1980’s and my parents were running out of money.
There’s A LOT I can talk about. But this is the thrust of my first post here.
I was floored when I was invited to an alumni gig at the school. I hadn’t heard from anyone since I left. I thought I had been declared! (I was kind of an out-spoken trouble maker and being a non-scientologist made me kind of stick out). So I went back for kicks and was amazed at the same stupid attitude amongst alumni, current staff and students that I had experienced when I was younger…almost a don’t ask, don’t tell policy. I thought, years ago, when I would witness an event, out of the norm (like a staff member breaking a rule or whatever) and no one wanted to talk about it, I thought it was because I was just a kid.
The alumni thing helped me contact old friends, staff and student. I was in close contact for a while, after my visit with an old friend and we had been chatting informally as we had in the past. When I brought up an “off-color” topic (see below), I quickly got the cold shoulder and got the clear message that I wasn’t supposed to talk about anything except the PARTY LINE…. about how great the school is doing… like I was busting holes through someone’s success story or something. I was pretty shocked. I had assumed we could speak as adults …. Whatever that means… to talk about old stories and laugh about it…. But I guess that’s not the case.
So since the alumni thing and having reconnected with old friends that I hold dear, I’ve been worried to address subjects that most obviously wish were forgotten. A lot of my friends have since become big-wigs in the CoS and its affiliates, Narcanon, etc. And this is where Ms. Busta Move comes in. I guess I’m worried that if I did speak my mind, the friendships would end, that these people would chose the Church over our friendship, or at least cut-off the relationship for fear of retribution of the association with me. Maybe I should trust in our friendship and speak my mind, using my real name. But I guess I’m not ready for that yet….
My point is though, in reading other posts from Delphi Oregon people, I find that no one, so far is going in to any of the strange times, the “dirt” if you will of what I saw during my years there. So I’m going to go in to a few topics and let YOU respond, if you want:

SMOKING. Almost everyone used to smoke, I mean nation wide. This included most staff members at the school. At some point, some smart staff member, probably following fire marshal or insurance agents advice, set aside a “smoking room” for students. The idea was that it was better to have a place for them to smoke, instead of them sneaking out in the woods or wrapping a plastic bag around the smoke alarm and accidentally starting a fire in the dorm room (there was a fire once, just from a hidden-but-still-lit cigarette, in 1979, I think). So, you had to have parents permission and be at least 14 or 15, I can’t remember. Of course, there were a lot of card games, chat and bummin’ smokes in the smoking room. Great times. However, I pretty sure that the smoking room was bugged for a while. Students started to be called in to the Dean’s or EO’s office on questioning that obviously pertained to intimate conversations in the smoking room. Yes, someone could have written us up and turned the conversation in, but it seemed unlikely.
The reason I bring this up first is that I brought it up in conversation with my friend that I was reunited with. She mentioned the incredible idea that there even was a smoking room in the past. Currently there is a zero tolerance policy at Delphi about tobacco. I wrying retorted, “Yeah, it’s a good thing that there aren’t any students who smoke at Delphi now, huh? (smirk, smirk)”. That comment nearly ended our friendship. She quickly changed the subject, ended the conversation and I didn’t hear from her for months. I got a really clear message that I wasn’t supposed to talk about that….. much less this:

DRUGS. Little did the parents know, in sending off their youngster to boarding school, that in the Pacific NW forests, surrounding Delphi, there is a massive population of naturally growing psycho active mushrooms. Some smart-guy student discovered these while I was a pretty new student and made a rich tea out of them.
I’m sure those mushrooms are still out there. They’re EVERYWHERE and there’s no really spraying for them. But…. It’s a good thing that there aren’t any students who take drugs at Delphi now, huh?
There were also rumors of an adjoining piece of property, off of one side of the campus, where the land owner had a small patch of weed that he was growing amongst the fir trees. I never saw it, but I always wondered where the older kids got the goods.

HOMOSEXUALITY….. Golly! There was this student, somewhere around 1980, who had been there 2 or 3 years. He got ready to leave rather suddenly and word was circulating quickly over an impending ethics hearing. The story was that he had “snuck” into another fellow’s dorm room, found him asleep and began “fondling” him, then things went on from there. After a while, the other fellow “suddenly woke up”, freaked out and went to go inform the nearest staff member. The “perpetrator” packed up and left school quickly. The “victim” stayed on at school for a year or two more. There was never an ethics hearing, at least one that was posted on the Dean’s ethics board. Make of the story what you will, but given the current understanding of the percentage of gay and lesbian folks in our population (or at least of adolescent experimentation), it’s a little hard to believe that this was the lone isolated incident in my years there. People can get it on consensually all day long as far as I am concerned (and maybe we should). But what I find disturbing is the over-zealous denial of the whole issue.

GHOSTS. Delphi is spooked. Undeniably spooked. There were so many “sightings” or “events” or “experiences” by people (some times by multiple witnesses) while I was there, it became fairly common knowledge of the strange goings on all over campus. The 3rd floor course-room, the band room in the sub-basement, the fields near the dairy, the school house above the stables (wow!). I could go on for a while on this subject. But it was hard to talk about during the time as you were usually patronized and brushed off, at the very least if you wanted to talk about it. I guess, though, that this is a greater societal issue, too.

Anyway, that’s enough for now. I went on too long, I’m sure. Hope you all have stuff to add.

MBM
[/b]
'Cause when I'm gonna make a move, I'm gonna bust it!
<<

RLSteve

Site Admin

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:53 pm

I was at Delphi during the second half of the 90's. I'd estimate that the Scientologist/non-Scientologist ratio among the students was 60/40.

Yeah, there was a smoking lounge for students, but you had to be eighteen as well as have parental permission. I think they got rid of it after my first year.

There were a few students who got busted for drugs while I was at Delphi. This was more likely to happen in the summer, but it happened during the year a few times. These students were expelled. I'm sure it happens at every boarding school once in awhile.

I believe I heard rumors about a marijuana patch nearby. But I never knew if it was true or if my friend was just kidding me.

Regarding gay students... the only story I heard during my time was that some boys were caught playing strip poker. I never heard anything about any boys doing sexual things together while I was there. If there were boys that got in trouble for that, I think it's decent of the school to keep it hidden. Because if you're a teen, what's worse? Having the whole school talking about how you and a member of the opposite sex hooking up? Or having the whole school talking about you and a member of the same sex hooking up?

WAIT! I do know one former gay Delphi student who was eighteen and was allowed to leave campus. I believe he told me that he did hook up with a guy one time off campus during the school year.

There have been several Delphi students who have come out as gay or bi since leaving and some even go back and visit. From my experience, it seems like most of the staff and other students are pretty cool about it. However, I do know one transgender who returned for Alumni Weekend once, and most of the people there were really awkward about it and shunned her.

Yeah, I remember there were lots of ghost stories circulating around. But nobody ever got brushed off for talking about it. There were students who even had firsthand stories of paranormal events. The gym was haunted, the second shower in one of the girl's bathrooms was haunted, the chapel was haunted, etc.

I personally never saw or experienced anything, other than bats flying in the chapel and course room a few times. I do remember that that chapel was really spooky! It was always scary walking through it at night when the lights were off!

But you want to know what's funny, though? Apparently, there are urban legends/myths circulating around the towns of Sheridan, Willamina, McMinnville that Delphi is a devil worshiper's school and that they worship rocks and eat babies and practice witchcraft. I had a roommate who was in a boyscout group, and the other boys asked him if those stories were true.
<<

MsBustaMove

EPFer

Post Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:18 am

Contemporary social mores reflect heavily on school policy, I think. For the Church, however, it seems to a lot more heavy-handed top-down kind of outlook.
At the time, being gay or even curious was absolutely taboo and it was known to get you quietly sent away if spoken about real quick.
There was. of course a No Sex rule at the school. I'm assuming it's still there.
There was this darling boyfriend/girlfriend couple there who "went together" for years. They'd end up getting it on in the woods, she'd feel guilty, write them both up and it'd get posted after the enusing ethics hearing. They would break up afterwards...for a while and then get back together again .... repeat cycle. It happened like 5 times. He would get so pissed that she would turn them in, but she was quite stunningly beautiful and sweet that I guess he couldn't resist.
The grand event of losing my virginity ended being published on the ethics board after my partner ratted on us. So, I am completely with you on the discretion needed in the atmosphere of a boarding school overwrought with young peoples angst and anxiety. But that idea of discretion never seemed to be there.
Which got me really hot once. I never did like it, and still don't. The idea of posting all the details of one's ethics hearing out in the hall for God and everyone to see. We can all learn from someone else's mistakes? Well that's crap. It felt a lot more like authoritative intimidation, with a penchant for humiliation.
The ehtics hearings conducted for staff members were not posted. I once brought this up in one of the headmasters teas on Fridays and the idea was received rather cooly it seemed.
RLS, I liked reading what you had to say. I gotta run for now, but will respond more later.

MBM
<<

MsBustaMove

EPFer

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:48 pm

Group think was, of course really important to accomplish at the school. It seems to be a tool used in every organization, but others really abuse it.
The PARTY LINE is established and if you aren't in the front row, cheering on the PARTY LINE, you receive some ridicule, some of it light hearted, some of it not (" why do you have such an affinity for downstats?" I was once grilled during an ethics hearing .... during the occassional downtown Portland weekend trips, I'd go and talk to the hobos around the Burnside Bridge to see what they had to say).
Here's an example that sticks in my head. It keeps coming back because it happened recently at the first day of and Alumni w/e, and seeing it made me realize that my feelings and observations concerning the school atmosphere then and now are a lot the same.
The w/e started with kind of a group orientation in the Chapel, kind of an Alumni pep rally. There was a "roast" for a certain year's alumni, one graduate fellow in particular, enacted through a series of skits.
I was long gone by the time this guy was a student and didn't know him, but apparently he was from Mexico with, at the time, a fervant Mexican nationalist outlook.
The skit portrayed his troubled student attendance there and his successful graduation after he had "handled" what was getting in the way of his acedemic completion. What had to be "handled" (at least what I got from the portrayal) was his Mexican nationalist views. This was portrayed by a silohouetted figure behind a shadow screen, like a comical Poncho Villa character, wearing a sombrero, shouting out anti-imperialists slogans in this terrible overdone accent, kind of like Gold Hat in the Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Badges? We don' need no stinking badges!). It was meant to be funny, of course. But it was pretty off color and I was offended.
The alumni student received recognition at the end, after sitting through his roast. But it kind of felt creepy, like "what a great graduate we have, now that we brought that little Mexican kid in line".
What it represented was that dissenting views, or at least alternative views, are not welcome.

more later.

MBM
<<

MsBustaMove

EPFer

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:47 am

GHOSTS. Here's just a couple.

Schoolhouse. There's a building on campus that everyone called the Schoolhouse. I'm using present tense, although, I heard it's been torn down due to being too much of an attractive nuisance to students "wanting to get away from it all" around midnight. You took the road downhill from the school, past the gym, past the old basketball courts and took a left, and up the dirt road to the stables. Keep going through the stables, up the hill. There was a small tractor path up the hill. On you're right, you were skirting the edge of a pretty dense oak and douglas fir stand of woods. Not too far from the stables, the tractor path swung to the left, up the hill to the water tower. Instead go straight, along a path. Not far off the road, maybe 200-300 feet. You came to the schoolhouse.
Delphi was originally built as a Jesuit Seminary. The school house may have dated from that time, but it was so delapidated, that it was hard to place its age. But it was old. The doors were gone, the window glass was gone. The roof leaked. It was a long rectangular building, made up of basically two large rooms. You entered on the long side of the rectangle. The other 3 sides of the rectangle were DENSELY overgrown and brushy and it was hard to even claw your way around the building. On the opposite side, the other long side of the rectangle were, what used to be, large picture windows, maybe 5' tall and 7' wide. When you stood at the window and looked out, you realized that the bottom of the window was a considerable distance off the ground because of the drastic slope down into the oak woods. The top of the window would have been, maybe 12' off the ground.
This may be a case of "wind up" as the same kind of events were experienced by many different students at different times and mostly in the dead of night. However, one Saturday night in the Autumn, a small group of students were going up to the schoolhouse just for kicks. It was a mixed group, female and male. This was during a dance in the dining room. They were gonna be up there for a while, I guess. I was invited along, but it didn't feel right so I declined and told them to have fun. I didn't go to the dance either. I was in the smoking room, alone, playing solitare about 1 hour later, when this same group came blasting in to the smoking room, panting like hell, like they ran a marathon, faces just alabaster white, except for the red roses on their cheeks. I've never seen a group more scared shitless. Julie asked to bum a smoke. As she took it, her hand was like ice. Most of them were obviously shaken and disturbed. Their story was similar to other happenings at the Schoolhouse.
While chatting and being teenagers, they heard a noise in the woods, something moving. Not a deer or fox. Something kind of big. The next noise seemed to be near the building, on the long side of the rectangle with the big windows. Of course, they're all deadly silent, listening. One of them started and following his gaze to one of the windows, they all see a shadowy form, like a person but not, standing outside at the window, just standing, facing them, looking in. Its a fairly bright moon out and while they can make out some features of the trees and plants outside, this form eludes almost any definition. It's bright enough where they would be able to see some features, but it just seems a shadow, just greys and blacks. However, the top of it's head is slightly higher than the top of the window. If it was "standing" on the ground outside, it would be 10 to 12 feet tall. Terrified, the run, LIKE HELL. Back down the hill, through the stables. At the school side of the stables they stop. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? They look back to the path that had just run down. About 300 feet back, another tall person like shadow form stands in the path, silent, watching. This time they don't stop and run all the way back. Next they find me. Jim said in his version that he thought he saw 2 or 3 more of these figures in the field below the stables, standing.
I would estimate that this, or a similar occurance happened at the Schoolhouse 2 or 3 times a year.
I might cull a few of these instances out as just being stoned teenagers, hysterical teenagers or lying teenagers. But I can't dismiss them all. That gang I intercepted was SCARED.

Bathroom. This is practically silly. But I know what I know. One morning, I left the courseroom and when to the bathroom. No one was in there as it was classtime. I was going to use the toilet, but I got a drink of water first out of one of the sinks. I turned on the Cold, got a drink and turned it off and went in to one of the toilet stalls. Closed the door.
The bathrooms near the dorms on the second and third floors are these LONG, skinny rooms. On one side is a long line of sinks, maybe 12 to 16. On the other side is a line of toilet stalls and, beyond it, a line of showers.
So I'm on the toilet, getting down to business, when all of the sudden I can hear sink water running in the bathroom. I know no one had come in as the swinging door to the bathroom made a defining "squeek" from the automatic closer thing at the top of the door. Well, I'm kind of in the middle of something, so I don't bolt out of the toilet stall to see what's up. It's maybe 30-60 seconds for me to finish and get out of the stall, the water going the whole time. I open the door and, while I had been sitting there, EVERY SINGLE SINK FAUCET HAD OPENED. Hot and cold. All the sink faucets were on. Disbelief baffled me for a second. Then I dutifully went down the line and turned each one off. I got to the last one, the one nearest the door. It was on too. I turned it off. This was the sink I had taken a drink of water out of. I KNOW I had turned it off. Strange.....

more later.

MBM
<<

RLSteve

Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:06 am

Was this the second floor girl's bathroom? I heard that that bathroom was haunted.
<<

MsBustaMove

EPFer

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:00 am

RLS! It was the 2nd floor bathroom. In writing the story. I'm not sure why I didn't use the 3rd floor bathroom at the time. Maybe I had to get something out of my room. More good ghost (and other) stories later. But I gotta post something else first......

MBM
<<

MsBustaMove

EPFer

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:03 am

Someone asked me, on another board, if there was any SeaOrg recruitment at delphi while I was there. I got so damn longwinded, that I thought I'd double post it here as I got on a small diatribe about staff....

SEA ORG RECRUITMENT. None. At least that I know of. But you have to keep in mind my non-Scio status while I was there (and while I'm here for that matter!). So, I may not have been privy to an inside deals in the school or Church.
However, upon my arrival at the school, there was an overwhelming population of students whose parents were either 1) on staff at the school (all staff were members of the Church, I'm fairly certain); or 2) were members of the Church and wanted to send their kids to a Scientologist based school. So, with that, there were a lot of students that I knew who shared stories of where their parents were at the time or where THEY had been before coming to Delphi. A LOT of them had been at Flag. A few of them had been at Sea Org. Most of the stories from the students at Flag had overtones of the rolicking good time they had there, pursuant to pre-pubescent(sp) antics and long periods of unsupervised fun. The stories that came out of Sea Org were brief and, for some reason, I got the impression like I wasn't supposed to know about it or no one was supposed to talk about it. At 11/12 years of age, what the Hell did I know? But, I learned quick.
You see, there was a bit of coming and going amongst the staff, at least in the late 1970's. "Where's so and so?" I'd ask after a holiday break or something. "Oh, he went to Flag". I got the definite impression that the school staff were part of a larger organization, whose members migrated from org to org as necessity or dictators dictated.
The thing about Delphi, though, when I first arrived, was shortly after its conversion from the Delphi that Martin Samuels started as an alternative energy gig into a school that accepted non-Scientologist students.... and it showed. What I mean is that, on staff, was a flabbergastingly, knock you on your butt, amount of people that REALLY knew their shit. As an adult with a little more experience/knowledge under my belt, I see some of the staff members there at the time as "social drop-outs" or "aternative lifestyle" or "former hippie" kind of folks.... I mean folks that wanted or needed an different kind of lifestyle and happened to stumble in to Scientology. But, for some, this was coupled with a different kind of outlook that made them quite cutting edge in their fields. I think these were the ones that Samuels collected for his Alternative Energy foundation. There were historians, physicists, artists, very interesting folks that decided at some point to live life in the Church/School instead of achieving greatness in their fields. Once you got to know them, and found out about their scope of knowledge and background, you wanted to say, "How'd the hell you end up here?".

A brief example of the depth of some staff members was on a Friday night in 1980 or 1981? A staff member, out of the blue rounded up a small group of students, who might be interested in an event he had just gotten wind of. It was about 8 at night. I was lucky enough to have been found by him. We piled in to his car and drove through the night to a what must have been a Grange Hall in a small town (Dayton? Amity?). It was a small white community with a huge Hispanic population. The gathering was a panel discussion, with a meet and greet and questions later with 2 or 3 Sandinistas from Nicaragua. They were there on a underground diplomacy tour, looking for a few bucks for their cause. I realize now that there had probably snuck in to the country and were going for place to place on a relatively clandestine tour. After the discussion, the staff member grabbed one of the Colonels and spoke in halting Spanish with he and I. An incredible gentlemen, I remember him. But shit! I met a Sandanista right when Reagan would have us all thrown in jail at the time. This was thanks to the staff member at the time, who was, I found out later was a very socio-politcal savvy fellow. I doubt that, today, if the Taliban or the IRA or the Spanish ETA were cruising through town if any staff members at Delphi would be taking students out to meet them. Again, how did this cat end up at Delphi? I know, I know... personal choice to ones own beliefs/religion. But damn! I couldn't help but feel like these folks could be out there kicking ass, instead of getting minimum wage up on the hill . I know they felt like they were kicking ass at the time working at the school and changing the world. But I know that's what they were probably told too.

more later.
<<

RLSteve

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:52 am

There was a little bit of Sea Org recruitment when I was there in the late 90's. Somebody from ABLE came up to give a lecture to the school, and later talked with a few students and some of them joined. That didn't fly well with the parents, so the school had to make a rule that a Sea Org recruiter could only talk to students with parental permission. At least, that's the word I heard while I was there.

It's true that particularly from my era, a lot of students did join the Sea Org after leaving Delphi. Even the girl I had a crush on. :( And there was another friend of mine who joined the Sea Org to be with her boyfriend, even though she hadn't been a Scientologist when she first went to Delphi. It was a huge peer pressure thing.

It makes me sad, wondering what all these people I went to high school with could be doing with their lives if they hadn't joined the Sea Org.

You know, I had always heard that Delphi was originally a place for "squirrel hippies." Actually, when it started as the Delphian Foundation in 1974, my grandmother was one of the original staff members there. She only stayed there for a few months, with two of her kids. I believe it was originally supposed to be a place where they were going to train auditors, if I understand correctly. Obviously, they had to have a school for the kids. My uncle was about thirteen at the time he was there, he told me since he was smarter than all the teachers, they couldn't teach him anything, so they put him to work, taking care of the cows (back when they had cows and pigs).

It became the Delphian School in 1976.
<<

MsBustaMove

EPFer

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:25 am

I don't know if the dairy is still operational, but it was a GOOD dairy. If you couldn't live off of any other Delphi food, you could make it from the milk and the bread.
In the GALLEY RAIDS in the middle of the night (do they still do those?), the first stop was the bakery in the back. I wasn't gonna write about this, but I brought it up, so okay.
From the East or West wing, running a galley raid, after bedcheck was an extremely high risk affair. You had to get out of the dorm silently because if you were "just going to the bathroom", whoever heard you go out was listening for you to come back in. Hopefully you had a plan. But you had only 2 or 3 routes, all of them risking exposure. The worst was a straight ahead sprint down the main hallway and down the stairs, socks only (to soften the noise). It was like a Felinni film with LONG rows of doors on either side, each threatening to open at any moment and busting you. Just terrifying.
The other, somewhat safer way out the dorm on the wings was the fire escape. But it was very noisy.
If you made it down the stairs from the hallway, your only option was to get into the rooms behind the chapel and then through the window, on to the roof of the galley and then through the trap door. But this was in full view of the courtyard.
Even from a fire escape route, via the outside, you still had to skirt the shadows of the courtyard to get to a galley access. Mark Seigel's room faced the courtyard and he had a light on in the window. You could never be sure if he was up or not.
Only once in a great while, whoever locked up missed the scullery door and then you were in, like Flynn. And the bread! ooo the bread! divine!
and yes... I got busted once.

more later.

MBM
<<

MsBustaMove

EPFer

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:30 am

SQUIRREL HIPPIES. I think the current PC term for this is Freezoners. (lol).
But truely, it's fairly acurate, in our oh-so-enlightened modern perspective. The school was really started by squirrel hippies. As I tried to emphsize before, there were some very interesting folks on staff in the late 70's at Delphi; people who looked at life differently; people, because of their outlook, could've really changed the world. I include Martin Samuels in this category.
My understanding was that Samuels started the Delphian Foundation as an alternative energy "experiment". He also happened to be a Scientologist with 5 missions. There were A LOT of alternative folks from all over the nation coming in to the Willamette valley for alternative lifestyles in the early 1970's. Land was cheap and the soil was good. There was this old, un-used Jesuit Seminary in Sheridan, Oregon that was cheap too. So came Delphi.
However, with the big change-over in the early 1980's, Delphi changed, CoS changed. It's a different situation. That's why this website is here.
What happened to Samuels? I knew him only briefly, when I was a student. He seemed, in now-adult research to be a very interesting guy, given all that he went through, being thrown from power, as it were. It's almost worthy of a documentary. After his abrupt leaving, rumors circulated that he embezelled from the school or Church or whatever and that charges were being pursued. As an adult, I'd love to here his perspective today!
Ultimately, I don't believe that CoS will be eradicated, nor do I wish it to be. I think, maybe optimistically, that what we are seeing today is growing pains. Folks who want to rule themselves is good. Those folks, wanting to break away are generally frowned upon.
I have some very OUTRAGEOUS spiritual beliefs. More later on that.....maybe. Do I want other folks to squash my beliefs? Well, honestly they can't. Do I want to be persecuted for it? Of course not. Do I want to see my fellow humans do well? Yes. Do I want them to live life freely, as I do? Yes. Do I want them to succeed in this life, prosperously and to work hard and pass that prosperity on to their families? Yes.
YES. That's why I write on these forums.

MBM
<<

Megalomaniac

EPFer

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:20 am

Hi, I was interviewed by Ben Carlson for an article on Delphi. He could really use some other people who'd be willing to talk to him. He asked me to post this:

"Hi everyone,

The Daily—a national publication for the iPad—is doing a story on the Delphian School in Oregon. We are looking for current or former students who would be willing to share their experiences there. Could anyone help?

Thanks so much. If you're willing to have a chat, please contact me at the address below within the next week.

All the best,
Ben

Benjamin.Carlson [at] thedaily.com"
It will come to an end. My argument is, it does not have to end badly. -- Ron Paul
<<

Gus

Non-E

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:50 am

Re: DELPHI OREGON the news you're not supposed to know

MsBustaMove wrote:Hi All,

Here’s the scoop. I attended Delphi for about 6 years from the late 1970’s into the early 1980’s. I was one of the few, and usually the only, non-scientologist student there....
So I quit when I almost-but-not-quite made it through Level 3. Shows my age, I know.

OK, so this is like 5 years later :-) I'm sure we know each other. If you're still around, I'm replying to you, but if you're not, I'm still replying just to confirm everything you said to the rest of the folks here. I am an Ex-Scientology kid and I appreciate this site and forum so I'd like to contribute what I can without giving away who I am (I'm still "under the radar" by necessity).

My point is though, in reading other posts from Delphi Oregon people, I find that no one, so far is going in to any of the strange times, the “dirt” if you will of what I saw during my years there. So I’m going to go in to a few topics and let YOU respond, if you want:

SMOKING. Almost everyone used to smoke, I mean nation wide. This included most staff members at the school. At some point, some smart staff member, probably following fire marshal or insurance agents advice, set aside a “smoking room” for students. The idea was that it was better to have a place for them to smoke, instead of them sneaking out in the woods or wrapping a plastic bag around the smoke alarm and accidentally starting a fire in the dorm room (there was a fire once, just from a hidden-but-still-lit cigarette, in 1979, I think). So, you had to have parents permission and be at least 14 or 15, I can’t remember.

Yes, that was pretty unusual, having a smoking room at a boarding school. You didn't have to be any particular age, you just had to have parental permission. You might recall the "Smoking Demonstration" we had at the west end of the 3rd floor hallway. Nobody was allowed to smoke at first, and we all snuck out to "the rock" just off the east lawn, when we weren't sneaking them in the bathrooms or dorms. Anyway, there was a little lounge area with couches and stuff by the window that faced the Promenade. This was at the west end of the long main hall, outside the 3-West dorm. We planned it out for a specific day and time, and then we all sat down in that lounge and lit up. There were at least 10 of us, probably 15, and Christ, it was scary :-) Staff showed up and we made our demands :-) That's how that policy of having a smoking room came about. Wow, I haven't thought about that in forever :-)

There is no smoking for the students, period, now. If the kids now did what we did then, they'd all be expelled. Too bad. They are too well-behaved and controlled.

Of course, there were a lot of card games, chat and bummin’ smokes in the smoking room. Great times. However, I pretty sure that the smoking room was bugged for a while. Students started to be called in to the Dean’s or EO’s office on questioning that obviously pertained to intimate conversations in the smoking room. Yes, someone could have written us up and turned the conversation in, but it seemed unlikely.

My guess is that someone confessed. But you could be right, it may have been bugged. I just don't think they had the technology at the time, but as you mentioned there were some brilliant faculty there.

As for the card games... fuck yeah! Some of the staff would stop by and watch, and I'm certain they were just dying to get in on our games but they weren't allowed. Goddamn, we had some good poker games in there, especially on Friday and Saturday nights! Brunch wasn't until 10am so we stayed up pretty late.

The reason I bring this up first is that I brought it up in conversation with my friend that I was reunited with. She mentioned the incredible idea that there even was a smoking room in the past. Currently there is a zero tolerance policy at Delphi about tobacco. I wrying retorted, “Yeah, it’s a good thing that there aren’t any students who smoke at Delphi now, huh? (smirk, smirk)”. That comment nearly ended our friendship. She quickly changed the subject, ended the conversation and I didn’t hear from her for months. I got a really clear message that I wasn’t supposed to talk about that….. much less this:

Dang, now I'm wondering who you talked to :-) Eve?

DRUGS. Little did the parents know, in sending off their youngster to boarding school, that in the Pacific NW forests, surrounding Delphi, there is a massive population of naturally growing psycho active mushrooms. Some smart-guy student discovered these while I was a pretty new student and made a rich tea out of them.
I’m sure those mushrooms are still out there. They’re EVERYWHERE and there’s no really spraying for them. But…. It’s a good thing that there aren’t any students who take drugs at Delphi now, huh?
There were also rumors of an adjoining piece of property, off of one side of the campus, where the land owner had a small patch of weed that he was growing amongst the fir trees. I never saw it, but I always wondered where the older kids got the goods.

The guy who made the tea - were his initials BR?

And yes, a lot of pot got smoked in those woods. I mean fuck, it was the Pacific NorthWest! There was also AppleJack (fermented apple cider) a-brewin' out there in the West Woods. Shrooms, for sure. It was a great environment :-) It still would be, if the kids weren't so bloody straightlaced now :-)

HOMOSEXUALITY….. Golly! There was this student, somewhere around 1980, who had been there 2 or 3 years. He got ready to leave rather suddenly and word was circulating quickly over an impending ethics hearing. The story was that he had “snuck” into another fellow’s dorm room, found him asleep and began “fondling” him, then things went on from there. After a while, the other fellow “suddenly woke up”, freaked out and went to go inform the nearest staff member. The “perpetrator” packed up and left school quickly. The “victim” stayed on at school for a year or two more. There was never an ethics hearing, at least one that was posted on the Dean’s ethics board. Make of the story what you will, but given the current understanding of the percentage of gay and lesbian folks in our population (or at least of adolescent experimentation), it’s a little hard to believe that this was the lone isolated incident in my years there. People can get it on consensually all day long as far as I am concerned (and maybe we should). But what I find disturbing is the over-zealous denial of the whole issue.

I know who both of those students were, names and circumstances, and I can confirm that happened. And that there was more going on. Not extensive, but what you would normally expect in a boarding school situation, with a bunch of teenaged kids and how they experiment. I would not be at all surprised if there's still some same-sex experimentation going on.

GHOSTS. Delphi is spooked. Undeniably spooked. There were so many “sightings” or “events” or “experiences” by people (some times by multiple witnesses) while I was there, it became fairly common knowledge of the strange goings on all over campus. The 3rd floor course-room, the band room in the sub-basement, the fields near the dairy, the school house above the stables (wow!)...

That's damn right.

PM me if you're still around.

Gus Cox
(not my real name)

Return to Scientology Education