Columbia Academy in Portland, or WAOK on Mercer Island, WA?

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

evan

EPFer

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:48 am

Columbia Academy in Portland, or WAOK on Mercer Island, WA?

Anybody besides me that went to these two? Both are pretty small (I think WAOK went out of business a year or two after I left.98 I still have a basketball jersey), but I went to Columbia Academy from the mid 80s to early/mid 90s. WAOK was also mid 90s.

I also went to Columbia Academy summer school, which sounds crappy but the trips were pretty fun.

It's kind of amazing that I wasn't way behind when I hit public high school, since my education before that was a joke. I was an avid reader in the cadet org though, possibly to escape reality.
<<

Iknowtoomuch

Suppressive Person

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:52 pm

Columbia is now just an after school type program from what I hear.
A private school bought the school they were in several years ago.
"Everybody has a right to believe what they want to believe. But I don't believe that anybody has a right to trick anybody, to hurt anybody, to harm some body, for their own purposes." - Jason Beghe
<<

evan

EPFer

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:13 pm

Iknowtoomuch wrote:Columbia is now just an after school type program from what I hear.
A private school bought the school they were in several years ago.

Huh. I remember during the later years that I went, we shared a building with another private school. Sometimes we'd hear screams coming from the other end of the hall, and they were explained away by saying "psychs control other schools..." and leave us to make our own conclusions. Pretty hilarious thinking back.

Well, not all of us joined the SO, so I'm sure I'll run into some of these guys in the future.
"And stay happy!" - Philip Gale
<<

RLSteve

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:16 am

I was at WAyOK.

It was the one Scientology school I went to besides Delphi.

I don't think it was that great of a school, at least in comparison to Delphi. The whole environment was pretty lassez-faire. It didn't have the structure that Delphi had.

Also, it really didn't have much in the way of resources. No drama department, no sports teams, etc. I remember one time the school had a dance at the gym next door, and I just remember thinking it was so pathetic. Not crowded at all. Delphi may have been an extreme Scientology school, but still it seemed to have much of the same things that regular schools had, like a drama department, choir, music, sports teams, competitions with other schools, dances, etc, (but no football team or cheerleaders). It's true that even small wog private schools tend to lack stuff like that, but the wog middle school that I had gone to which was the same size as WAyOK just seemed... better (probably because it was more structured).

I don't believe any kid graduated from there.

It had a more simple, sheltered, homey feel to it than Delphi did. Delphi was a much bigger school and most of the kids there came from higher social-economic backgrounds. I remember feeling sorry for all the WAyOK kids whose families couldn't afford to send them to Delphi (as it is with most Scientology families, I'm sure). In a way, they were in a lot more sheltered environment than the Delphi kids.
<<

evan

EPFer

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:00 am

RLSteve wrote:I remember feeling sorry for all the WAyOK kids whose families couldn't afford to send them to Delphi (as it is with most Scientology families, I'm sure). In a way, they were in a lot more sheltered environment than the Delphi kids.

Haha, you would have felt sorry for me then. My step sister got to go to Delphi, only because her real father had cash and she was an only child before her mom remarried with my dad. By that time, I didn't mind too much since I was already going to public high school and realizing that I had it much better off. I know tons of people who went though.

It was a while back, but I was the kid with the brown 90s Leo DiCaprio hair and crooked teeth. Hung out with Davin and Austin all the time, not sure if you know who I'm talking about. I went there for just a few months, now that I think about it.
"And stay happy!" - Philip Gale
<<

RLSteve

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:17 am

Well, I sent you a private message since I didn't want to directly reveal my identity in public, but you haven't checked it yet.

Return to Scientology Education