How I came to experience LRH Study tech@Delpi+reflections&am

Moderator: doubleVee

After Delphi or other Sci School, did you go to university?

How was it?
No votes
would you send you kids to a COS school?
No votes

Total votes : 0
<<

NotThenNotNow

Non-E

Post Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:12 am

How I came to experience LRH Study tech@Delpi+reflections&am

In the late 70's when I was in a public high school, I read a newspaper article about an alternative school in Sheridan. I convinced my parents to take me there to visit it and check it out.

Shortly thereafter, I found myself living for a couple of months in the old seminary on the top of the hill, doing TRs, playing with clay, thumbing a dictionary and wondering what this little adventure was going to teach me and wondering when if I was going to gain the superpowers promised.

Ultimately, I went back to my high school and pressed or was pushed forward. I had some stellar professors at university a few years later and I learned how to really enjoy study and then headed off to China and spent most of the next couple of decades in Asia.

Now, having seen my neices and nephews in Montessori and now researching where to send my kids, I can't help but be struck with the similarities to the Montessori Method of hands on learning and the Hubbard Study Tech - demo it out with clay, sticks and rocks approach.

Does anyone know whether LRH and his team pulled concepts from the Montessori schools? The reinforcement of the explanation with physical action is effective but I would be surprised if that was an independent creation as few things are.

I also wonder what ever happened to the Scientology kids and the odd cross section of Wog kids and misfits that I got close to.

I also, albeit more quietly, wonder whether many were ultimately as fortunate as I to have found an academic passion and got on through university. Did many kids from Delphi, or other cos schools, then or now, go on to the traditional universities? If not, do folks thinks this limits their options?

I have read this site and am amazed at what a lot of y'all have been through and wish I would have been a bit more empathetic and aware at that time.
<<

MsBustaMove

EPFer

Post Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:59 pm

As with all things creative, I think that most of LRH tech, including study tech was "evolved" (ripped off, plagerized, developed) from already existing sources.
I, of course, can't site a specific instance. LRH always came across his tech by divine enlightenment, or something, I guess. So, there no source that can be cited where he said, "Oh, I borrowed this idea from Buddism, Montessori, the Big JC, or whatever.
But, since Montessori, was weel in full swing by the time LRH study tech came around, I would assume some or a large percentage was borrowed from it.
If you're thinking about sending your kids to Delphi, be sure you're finances are sound, 'cause it ain't cheap!

MBM
'Cause when I'm gonna make a move, I'm gonna bust it!
<<

NotThenNotNow

Non-E

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:52 am

Thanks for the insight.

Actually, I am also curious if anyone has discussed where the "tech" was otained from as that would be probably be an interesting story. The Montessori method is was not protected vigorously by copyright and was more an early "open source" tech. Maria Montessori's objectives were not financial gain but societal gain.

As for whether or not I would be considering that school for my children the simple answer is no. I believe that most kids will do better with traditional systems supplemented by outside activities and if that fails, pitch in copious amounts of love, compassion, support and understanding. Had a board like this been available I doubt my parents would have allowed me to go, even briefly, but it is pretty cool that they did support my curiosity.

+++++++++
As with all things creative, I think that most of LRH tech, including study tech was "evolved" (ripped off, plagerized, developed) from already existing sources.
I, of course, can't site a specific instance. LRH always came across his tech by divine enlightenment, or something, I guess. So, there no source that can be cited where he said, "Oh, I borrowed this idea from Buddism, Montessori, the Big JC, or whatever.
But, since Montessori, was weel in full swing by the time LRH study tech came around, I would assume some or a large percentage was borrowed from it.
If you're thinking about sending your kids to Delphi, be sure you're finances are sound, 'cause it ain't cheap!

MBM

Gus

Non-E

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:35 am

Re: How I came to experience LRH Study tech@Delpi+reflection

NotThenNotNow wrote:In the late 70's when I was in a public high school, I read a newspaper article about an alternative school in Sheridan. I convinced my parents to take me there to visit it and check it out.

Shortly thereafter, I found myself living for a couple of months in the old seminary on the top of the hill, doing TRs, playing with clay, thumbing a dictionary and wondering what this little adventure was going to teach me and wondering when if I was going to gain the superpowers promised.

Interesting. We may know each other.

Does anyone know whether LRH and his team pulled concepts from the Montessori schools? The reinforcement of the explanation with physical action is effective but I would be surprised if that was an independent creation as few things are.

Hubbard "borrowed" pretty much everything. I would not be at all surprised if he borrowed from the Montessori method. I'm not familiar with Montessori, so I couldn't say, but given the similarity of Dianetics to, say, abreaction therapy (amongst other things), I wouldn't be surprised.

I also wonder what ever happened to the Scientology kids and the odd cross section of Wog kids and misfits that I got close to.

Well, I'm one of those Scientology misfits now Wogs :-)

I am now living a very happy and fulfilling life. I wonder if it is in spite of, or in part because of, my experience with Delphi in Oregon at that time.

My life is worse having been brought up in Scientology - imagine growing up knowing all the answers, because LRH said so. In my 40s I realized that that what LRH said wasn't necessarily so, and that I missed out on studying the great philosophers - Kant, Descartes, Aquinas, even Nietzsche, because "I didn't need to, because LRH said..." I missed out on real brilliance because of L. Ron Fucking Hubbard??!! Could you imagine the looks you'd get reading Bertrand Russell on the fucking Purif? I try to catch up now, but studying them in my youth is a loss I can't get back.

But my life is better having been to Delphi in the late '70s - early '80s. I experienced a cross section of humanity and environment that colors my world to this day. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

That said, I would not send my children there now. It is not the same. Delphi tries to be academic now. There is and will be nothing like Delphi in the 70s. What Delphi tries to be now would be better had at a place like Phillips, St. Paul's, or Harvard Westlake, or even Crossroads, for the money.

I also, albeit more quietly, wonder whether many were ultimately as fortunate as I to have found an academic passion and got on through university. Did many kids from Delphi, or other cos schools, then or now, go on to the traditional universities? If not, do folks thinks this limits their options?

I went on to University and found myself woefully unprepared for study in that setting. Nevertheless, my spark for learning remains and I still study on my own to this day.

I understand that Delphi Oregon has a much better college prep program now. IMHO, this is due to the efforts of Mark Siegel, who recognized the need to integrate the "Delphi Way" with solid college prep around 1980 or so, and to Headmaster Alan Larson, a Stanford PhD., who let Mr. Siegel roll with it. Dr. Larson has moved off the day-to-day workings of Delphi, but I believe Mr. Siegel is still on faculty there. For Delphi's sake, I hope he is. FWIW, I do have a lot of respect for those two men.

I have read this site and am amazed at what a lot of y'all have been through and wish I would have been a bit more empathetic and aware at that time.

I think we all wish we were, my old friend :-)

Gus
not my real name

Return to Scientology Education