ugh

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

speckledtrout

Clear

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:25 pm

ugh

Hi all--

Sorry to have been absent lately. I got some news recently--one of my siblings joined the SO. With no notice. We got the call when he was ALREADY IN CLEARWATER.

My parents are devasted but hiding it. My father said "I've never known a parent happy when it was their kid," I don't get the disconnect here on how you can feel that way about what is essentially their Holy Orders and still believe in the COS.

He's 19, he has no idea how to get a job, open a bank account, grocery shop--or really much of anything. And now he's never going to learn until he leaves in 15 years with a gigantic freeloaders debt, no skills, no healthcare, and no money--and maybe a pregnant wife or girlfriend.

My parents still think they're going to see him once a year or so. I don't know how realistic that is.

Ugh.
mikolot mayim rabim adirim, mishbarai'yam
--Ps. 93
<<

Quietheart

Forum Moderator

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:59 pm

I'm sorry to hear this, there's really not much else I can say except that my families thoughts will be with you and your family. I can't imagine what all you and your family must be going through right now.
Hugs,
Esther
<<

DRE

OTIII

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:37 pm

May your sibling end up like my friend Linda (former Sci staff, now public and tolerant), with learning experiences about the road on which they have walked, an open mind about their beliefs and those of others, and a way back to lay society readily available when the headaches get too bad. I wish them prayers and luck. Same to you and your parents.
<<

speckledtrout

Clear

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:10 pm

Thank you both. I know I didn't have a question or a real point, I'm just feeling lousy about it.

DRE~I'm glad it worked out for your friend. I do know some others who have gotten out relatively OK. Still with no savings, education, or experience to speak of, though.

I was speaking to a good friend last night who told me that for Catholic Holy Orders you spend TEN YEARS in various steps to make sure you are certain this is what you want before they "marry" you into the convent/monestary. I just feel like the SO has no regard for whether or not they take advantage of these young people.
--Ps. 93
<<

DRE

OTIII

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:35 pm

Thank you, Speckled.

You make a good point regarding Catholic holy orders. There is such a thing as moving too far too fast. That IMO is a huge error being committed by people motivated to give their lifes to the SO.
<<

astra

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:36 pm

I am really sorry to hear that.

I can only think to say that when your brother does up leaving the SO, it will likely be with a real apprecation for freedom and a hugely adjusted point of view on the CofS.
<<

LronIsgonE_Snap

Suppressive Person

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:26 am

Speckledtrout, It's good to hear from you again, though we obviously wish the circumstances were different. Hopefully your brother will get out of the SO in much less than 15 years, and you can explain to him why he does not need to pay that bogus freeloader's debt.
Enjoy your life today,
For time is fleeting.
<<

speckledtrout

Clear

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:30 am

LronisGone: Well, I certainly hope it will be less than 15 years. We'll see. He really thinks he is helping others and fighting the good fight, so.

I am concerned about how much more twitchy he is going to get about my being out and openly so to the family. Hopefully we won't have to find out/it won't extend to him pressuring my parents to disconnect.

Thank you and astra for the kind words.

ETA~ err, "out" as in "out of COS," not out of the closet.
--Ps. 93
<<

DRE

OTIII

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:01 am

If he does pressure your parents, hopefully they'll stay on your side, and he'll have to make the decision between his family and the SO. Not a decision anyone should have to make, but thus the world unfortunately has been made. If the circumstances can be avoided, it would be best. I will keep tolerance and understanding for this situation on his part in my prayers. I'm confident such things already reside in you. :)
<<

mickwenlock

Clear

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:55 pm

speckledtrout wrote:Thank you both. I know I didn't have a question or a real point, I'm just feeling lousy about it.

DRE~I'm glad it worked out for your friend. I do know some others who have gotten out relatively OK. Still with no savings, education, or experience to speak of, though.

I was speaking to a good friend last night who told me that for Catholic Holy Orders you spend TEN YEARS in various steps to make sure you are certain this is what you want before they "marry" you into the convent/monestary. I just feel like the SO has no regard for whether or not they take advantage of these young people.

Speckled - you make the same point I have made in the past. If the CofS really did respect Scientologists it would constantly be offering periods of pause an reflection before taking life changing decisions. Your good friend is totally correct - The RC Church Holy Orders - especially monastic orders - require a very long time of reflection and commitment. Scientology and the Sea Org would be much better organizations were they to follow such guidelines.

You have my sympathy for your situation with your brother and your parents.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
<<

Iknowtoomuch

Suppressive Person

Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:28 pm

Sorry to hear this. More proof the vast majority of SO recruits are very young. Not knowing any better.

Going by what I went through he'll get (if he's lucky) 1 or 2 LOA's in 7 years. And that is only if he puts up a fight.

I hope he's fiesty and can see for himself how SO members are treated.
"Everybody has a right to believe what they want to believe. But I don't believe that anybody has a right to trick anybody, to hurt anybody, to harm some body, for their own purposes." - Jason Beghe

Return to Staff & Sea Org