[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Ex Scientology Kids • View topic - "External Influences"

"External Influences"

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:17 am

"External Influences"

Hey, Something Bushkagnd and grudy wrote inspired me to make this a separate post.

So SO members aren't allowed to take gifts from outsiders? :roll: How far does that extend? Your parents can't buy you anything on holidays? Is the intention to keep members in poverty or what? What is the stated reasoning behind this?
<<

astra

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:34 am

<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:49 am

<<

Grundy

Sticky Master

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:01 pm

<<

ChaoticPsychotic

OTIII

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:20 pm

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently" - Nietzsche
<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:44 pm

<<

ExSciFag

EPFer

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:47 pm

<<

Grundy

Sticky Master

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:14 pm

<<

Enrico Entheta

Non-E

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:33 am

<<

Lulu Belle

EPFer

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:21 pm

<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:01 pm

<<

ChaoticPsychotic

OTIII

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:52 pm

Back in 2002 or so I remember hearing that the SO started telling the kids who had been in the Cadet Org and who then went into the SO and then in turn left the SO - that they had to go anywhere other than LA. They did not want them banding together and discussing things and realizing how bad they had it. Also they were worried that all the exes would start talking to the kids still "in" and get them out. External influences...
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently" - Nietzsche
<<

anonypanda

OTIII

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:10 am

Far east Anonymous.

我们匿名
我们军队
我们不会原谅
我们不会忘记
预期我们
<<

SaintBastard

Pirate

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:31 am

The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it.

Frank Herbert
<<

ChaoticPsychotic

OTIII

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:55 pm

<<

chickenlittle

Non-E

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:48 pm

Last I knew, Marissa was an RTC Trainee and Laurel was on her way to Int.
<<

everfree

Clear

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:27 pm

Ah, "external influences"... good times.

Here's how it looked at a lower level (Class V) org.

Staff at Class V orgs very rarely get paid anything resembling a livable income. Most often the pay is pocket money, if anything at all. One year I made $500 for the whole year of way more than full time work.

As a result, staff usually have to "moonlight" - working outside the org - to make some money to live on. It can be difficult working for non-Scn companies because as staff you are required to put staff before any other consderation.

That means that if you have to stay up until 3am on a wednesday night preparing bulk mail or writing letters, that's what you had to do, regardless of having to get up at 5 to go to your moonlight job.

And if you had to be in on Thursday morning to gather stats or finalize that reg (sales) cycle you had been working on, there was little choice.

These things would cause trouble with most non-scn employers, so best would be to work for a scn-owned company who would be more sympathetic to your needs as a staff: let you sleep in a couple hours if you needed it, or get time off to be at the org on Thurday morning, or let you travel to the nearest SO base at a moment's notice for training or "handling". The drawback being that in return for such flexibility they generally didn't pay too great. But such were the sacrifices we made for the great cause...

Well, one day a very nice scn employer who I had worked for briefly was at Flag and got called into Ethics and grilled as to why staff members worked for their company. They ended up being required to get $15,000 worth of security checks at their own expense in order to "prove" that they weren't doing anything wrong.

A short while later we received an "interog" which is a list of questions of interest to Ethics in weeding out undesirables and/or uncovering misdeeds. It asked questions about what Scnists employed staff, who let staff rent from or live with them, if any Scnists had given the staff gifts, that sort of thing.

Two separate SO missions were sent into the org to investigate further. Remember, there was nothing going on but a few Scnist public trying to make life easier for some of the staff by allowing them to work very flexible moonlight jobs to make some money.

And by money, I don't mean getting rich, I mean to be able to have a roof over one's head and eat food besides ramen with ketchup, ramen with mustard, plain ramen, and - for a real treat - ramen with a can of tuna for protein.

About that time I had a child and needed a new job; a Scnist employer I had known for many years and considered a friend just happened to have an opening for a position for which I was very - almost uniquely - qualified. It paid pretty well, more than most Scn jobs. I was very excited.

When I enquired about it, I was told that they had recently made a decision to no longer employ CofS staff members. They mentioned the person who had been sec checked specifically, and I think the missionaires had been to their company.

I tried desperately to change their mind, but couldn't sway them. I was absolutely crushed. I never spoke to them again as a friend (though I now have much more understanding of and compassion for what they were going through).

I had to support my child so I ended up getting a regular job and started refusing to do anything like stay up late or take time off that might jeopardize it.

Shortly after, the first wave of what can only be called propoganda posters arrived at my org. They were intended to warn us about EIs.

One had a guant, destitute staff member sitting on a park bench with his e-meter with a caption like "They told me I'd make a lot of money if I left staff." Another had an angry, purple-faced businessman boss looming over a tiny, scared staff member employee.

Rather than have their intended effect, those posters pissed me off to no end. The staff were already destitute - without a finger lifted or even mention made on the part of CofS management - and the only purple-faced bosses I've ever seen surrounded by cowed juniors were all CofS execs, never outside CofS.

I remember thinking that if management put the effort they put into policing external influences into actually ensuring the staff made a livable wage instead that little or no such policing would be needed, they only felt the need to do so because staff welfare is an area for which they take absolutely no responsibility whatsoever so they knew they are weak and open to attack.

I know us staffers didn't get it as rough as you SO members, but it reached us as well.
<<

ExSciFag

EPFer

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:05 pm

Scientology - Responsibility as Blame. It's a nice job if you can get it....
<<

Grundy

Sticky Master

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:24 pm

Well, the reasoning behind not letting staff work in companies owned by Scientologists was to prevent John Q Public from getting treated in any way differently or preferentially compared to any other John Q Public.

Also, if staff were also working for these companies, they might use their position on staff to promote/push their other wog job, thereby possibly taking business away from the church.

So that's the rationale behind the preventing of staff moonlighting for scientologists.

I HAVE seen such things happening in an org. But I've also seen where there was NO problem and somehow management or a Sea Org missionaire making it a problem.
<<

everfree

Clear

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:07 am

Next

Return to Staff & Sea Org