The Sea Org as slavery

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

dt2000

Clear

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:57 pm

Way late on this one, but I read throught most of the legal mumbo jumbo about minimum wage. I wonder if any ex-SO has ever tried to file a lawsuit to get past wages?

I would be a millionaire! haha. :roll: Instead of having a "Freeloader bill" for over 100k :shock:
<<

Iknowtoomuch

Suppressive Person

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:06 pm

Yes people are there of there own free will but, they don't know it wont be easy to leave it they are already stuck there. Once they want to possibly leave, they are watched so they can't leave. Odd no??
"Everybody has a right to believe what they want to believe. But I don't believe that anybody has a right to trick anybody, to hurt anybody, to harm some body, for their own purposes." - Jason Beghe
<<

lawanon

Clear

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:26 am

As far as I know, there has not been a class action...yet. Perhaps an anonymous mass mailing to employment law firms outlining the case against cos is in order. All that's needed is one courageous law firm and one courageous class representative ( former member of the cos).

I'll gladly draft and post a summary of the legal abuses as a start.
I object.
<<

dt2000

Clear

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:49 am

lawanon wrote:As far as I know, there has not been a class action...yet. Perhaps an anonymous mass mailing to employment law firms outlining the case against cos is in order. All that's needed is one courageous law firm and one courageous class representative ( former member of the cos).

I'll gladly draft and post a summary of the legal abuses as a start.

Would need one hell of a lawyer that's for sure. They definitely have their's.

But seriously, I'm just about 30 now. I spent 13 years of my life in the Sea Org, 2 1/2 on the RPF. I wouldn't even know where to start with something like that but would be interested if we did have a mass mailing. I would have a few things to say :evil: :twisted:
<<

dt2000

Clear

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:51 am

Oh and it is not as if DM doesn't get at least minimum wage... :roll: While the rest of the "slaves" MAYBE get $50 a week. MAYBE.
<<

lawanon

Clear

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:07 am

I going to start drafting something that reads like a legal brief (so lawyers will take notice). I'll include legal cites, and cites to evidence found on the internet. I'll start a new thread, and post sections as I go. That way, people can comment, make suggestions, and contribute their own sections. What do you think?
I object.
<<

James McGuigan

Ghost in the Machine

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:19 pm

sounds good. If you create a thread and link to it here I could sticky it, if the thread would also contain research, notes and useful links.

Few basic questions, that your brief may need to answer:
- which juristiction or state would it be filed in.
- which specific laws, criminal or civil, would the claim be on
- is there a statute of limitations on minimum wage, and or when did the laws come into effect
- do staff, so, rpf'ers and freeloader payers come under different categories.
- does the freeloaders NDA cause a problem.
- what loopholes will the church claim and why are invalid
- do you have enough people willing to put their name down on paper as claimants to get initial claim started.
- what would legal fees be in relation to compensation.
- what about the case should not be discussed online.
- what standard of proof would be required to prove employment and actual pay. Did SOs have to file tax returns in the states. Do they pay national insurance in the uk.
- how long would such a case take to complete.
- did cos breech other contractual obligations or employment law.
- any previous precidents on this subject

It would also be useful if you could post links to the relivant legal codes, so and staff contract text, and any other useful references so that multiple people can chip in with research and ideas, think groklaw.
Freedom is a choice. Choose to be yourself, choose to speak your truth and do so with compassion. And above all else, choose to be not afraid. If I can't dance, its not my revolution.
<<

dt2000

Clear

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:13 pm

One other thing that may or may not have any affect on the matter is a lot of us were probably minors when we signed our "contracts".
<<

lawanon

Clear

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:51 pm

okay! :P James, how do I start a thread and create a link? I'm low tech, so maybe you should do it. You are very eloquent and can explain the project in english vs lawyerese!

I'll strart an outline. As for what we should keep off the Internet, in general, I believe the truth should be an open book. Let's just protect names of people involved and use information and evidence already in the public domain. Having said that, anyone with any doubts should use pm.
I object.
<<

lawanon

Clear

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:53 pm

dt2000 wrote:One other thing that may or may not have any affect on the matter is a lot of us were probably minors when we signed our "contracts".

This is major! Is there a copy of this contract online? Not necessarily yours, just a same?
I object.
<<

lawanon

Clear

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:56 pm

lawanon wrote:
dt2000 wrote:One other thing that may or may not have any affect on the matter is a lot of us were probably minors when we signed our "contracts".

This is major! Is there a copy of this contract online? Not necessarily yours, just a same?

I meant to say just a sample.
I object.
<<

dt2000

Clear

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 pm

Here is a link to the "staff" contract, I know that they were supposed to have all SO members sign 5 year contracts like this every 5 years as these are more specific than the SO contract. I am trying to find the SO one too.

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Scientology_cult_contract
<<

dt2000

Clear

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:22 pm

Can't find a copy (I am sure there is one somewhere on the internet) but here is a link to what the SO contract says.

http://everything2.com/e2node/Sea%2520Org%2520contract
<<

James McGuigan

Ghost in the Machine

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:54 pm

I have created a new thread "Research for potential minimum wage class action lawsuit" in the "Activism & Campaigns" and copied some relevant snippets and links from this thread into it.

http://exscientologykids.com/eskforums/ ... hp?p=13390

I would suggest that further links, data and research be posted there so that it is all in one place for easy reference.

PS. To create a new thread, goto the listing page for a category and at the bottom of the page is a button that says "new topic", to link a thread just copy/paste the url of your new message into a new posting on the old thread (and possibly vice-versa as well).
Freedom is a choice. Choose to be yourself, choose to speak your truth and do so with compassion. And above all else, choose to be not afraid. If I can't dance, its not my revolution.
<<

James McGuigan

Ghost in the Machine

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:38 pm

<<

mrtampa

Clear

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:37 pm

Many of us who saw it inside and left we say the RPF was a slave-labor by definition.
Previous

Return to Staff & Sea Org