grew up 70s and 80s city angel

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

dolphinlover

EPFer

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:20 pm

My name is AmЎ, a 30something adult. Have had nightmares and bits of memories, all like a strange jigsaw puzzle. Still none of my family will talk much at all about my childhood and teenage years. (see post on introduction)

I’m searching for adults raised in and around Los Angeles area church and cĕlĕbty cntr during the 1970s and 80s. My parents were on staff during the early 1970's when I was born. Mom took us into SO mid 70s during early renovations of the cōmplĕx buildings (aka p@cįfįc are@ Çomm@nd) We were only in $O briefly, (long story) then out as general Sc public.

One of my vague memories as a very young child we were in the basement of the org or mission building with my father while he was on post in a large file room. It may have been called addrĕsso’. The org was not the large collective of buildings as it is now, but I don’t know where it was in LA. I have many other bits and pieces and in my older years many memories and crazy stories. In the late 70s and 80s my family ran an in-home child care center for sc kids.
Anyone have suggestions on how I can put together my story.
Thanks, alk

edit to add my intro here:
saying hello. Wow, it is great to find you all. i have searched the net on and off over many years trying to find others. i grew up in and around the los angeles orgs. 1970 - 1990. I am out. I still have family In, family out, one parent officially declared by comm ev, and close family who although consider themselves exscn, they still believe in the tech and use it in daily life. My family who still 'believe' have told me for years, that my memories were wrong, misunderstandings, etc... I have been through a lot in my life... maybe one day I will be able to tell my story. Thanks for hosting this online safe space.

Edit again:

I remember being a teenager about 14-16yrs old and "volunteering" at ASHO doing filing and running errands etc... There were maybe three SeaO members who paid me cash or other exchange for sexual favors. At the time I thought it was a perfectly good and reasonable exchange and never even questioned it.

Just my memory for the day.
Amy
Last edited by dolphinlover on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amy S. ALK greater so cal area

My way of joking is to tell the truth; it's the funniest joke in the world.
<<

doubleVee

Forum Moderator

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:25 pm

Hi Amy. I wish had something helpful for you, but I was born in the 80s so my recollections of that decade are also pretty hazy. :) I'm sure you will get a good reply soon from somebody here.

However, I do know that CCI in the 70s used to be in a different building, one that has apparently become a gold's gym or something (that's what my dad told me). Maybe you are thinking of that? I only know this because my mom worked there before I was born. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info.

It can take some time to sort out the puzzle, but there are others of us here who have done the same thing. Good luck. :)
Somebody has to speak for these people.... no more running. I aim to misbehave.... If you can't do something smart, do something right. (Serenity)
<<

beth (aka moontaco)

Clear

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:27 am

Like doubleVee, I'm sure someone with more complete info will chime in here. But until that happens, I have some sketchy info. (I was never a Scientologist, but I have a collection of old Scientology publications from the '70s and '80s, mostly ones having something to do with Celebrity Centre.)

The Celebrity Centre was originally on West 8th Street. I have something showing them at 1809 West 8th in 1970 (not sure how long they'd been there). I think they may have been at two different addresses on West 8th--perhaps adjoining buildings? (I seem to remember reading that somewhere.)

Sometime in '75 or '76 Celebrity Centre moved to 1551 North La Brea Avenue. It moved to its current location on Franklin Avenue (the Manor Hotel) in 1981. But the Manor had already had a connection to Celebrity Centre for a few years before that; I think it was strictly a hotel/apartment building for Scientologists before '81.
<<

RonTheCon

OTIII

Post Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:50 pm

hi amy ..I was there and I am from L A the old ASHO.. there was a kid by the name of danney and he ended up being RPF in the new ASHO. around 1981 I miss him...I all way wonder what happend to him.
<<

Iknowtoomuch

Suppressive Person

Post Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:47 pm

That's wierd, this thread has never come up for me.

I grew up around PAC. I'm not sure what else you're looking for though?
"Everybody has a right to believe what they want to believe. But I don't believe that anybody has a right to trick anybody, to hurt anybody, to harm some body, for their own purposes." - Jason Beghe
<<

Coyote13

EPFer

Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Grew up in L.A. area as well

I grew up in the L.A. area as well. My family joined the sea org in 1984 and we lived at the complex for a bit( my brother and sister and i and my stepfather, till my mom and little sister came down from sacramento) and then eventually got berthing at the place on hollywood boulevard( i think its called the test center or some such now, its where they have the christmas display thing every year). We were in the ceo as well and went to carpenter avenue elementary from the ceo, and ran around the manor and stole from mayfair market and played in the treehouse and the ditch behind the ceo between it and the manor and wandered L.A. (mostly griffith park).

After my mom and stepfather got kicked out of the sea org (whole other story) we lived in our station wagon, and then lived at the fountain arms apartments (1985/86?) then the shangri lodge 1986-1988. I was 8 when we first went into the sea org in 1984. Around 1990 after going to flag when I was 12, I quit having anything to do with scientology or interacting with anyone involved in scientology at all( though my family still were/are scientologists and I had to live with them til i was 18 lol).

I took courses at LA day (purif, how to get along with others, success through communications course) and most of the kids I knew were scientolgists. My brother is still friends with most of them, but again, I don't have much to do with those people or that mindset (scientology) if I can help it :p .

I guess thats it for now, peace and blessings.
<<

doubleVee

Forum Moderator

Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:40 am

Re: Grew up in L.A. area as well

Coyote13 wrote: at the place on hollywood boulevard( i think its called the test center or some such now, its where they have the christmas display thing every year).

That's the "HI" or Hollywood Inn.

Coyote13 wrote: and ran around the manor and stole from mayfair market and played in the treehouse and the ditch behind the ceo between it and the manor and wandered L.A. (mostly griffith park).

Heh me too.

If you were 8 in 1984 I was 3, but I probably knew you later if you were still around the CC/ASHO area.
Somebody has to speak for these people.... no more running. I aim to misbehave.... If you can't do something smart, do something right. (Serenity)
<<

Alonzospep

Non-E

Post Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:13 pm

Digger and Ellie are beautiful we are so pleased that they are doing well together.
They looked so cosy cuddled together
Liz Harriet Shelly Bonnie n Molly for both

___

XRumer 12.0.16 + SocPlugin: the BEST program for Facebook / VK / Forums / Blogs promotion!

Return to Your Story