[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Ex Scientology Kids • View topic - The day I ran away

The day I ran away

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:03 pm

The day I ran away

The plan to run away from home and CCHR had only been in place for 12 hours, and yet there I was, bag in hand, anxiously hiding in the bathroom of a Greek restaurant waiting for my non-Scientology boyfriend to come get me. He was late.

That morning, I had gone into work as if nothing was wrong, said hello to everyone, and then took a couple copies of my handwritten goodbye letter and slipped it into the executives' in-baskets.

"I'm sick and tired of kissing ass to OSA", I'd written in a fit of defiance. "I'm sick of..." well, there were a lot of things I was sick of.

I said I was going to get the newspapers, as I did every morning. And I ran.

My bag - one backpack - and a change of clothes were stuffed under the sink in the bathroom, and I changed into non-business clothes. My boyfriend showed up an hour late, and I was in a total panic by then. I was sure they were looking for me already. What if they saw me when I walked out of the restaurant? I was only a block away from the CCHR offices, and surely the police had already been alerted. I was still a minor, after all.

This wasn't, as I have been accused of, some plea for attention. I was heading to San Fransisco. I figured that I could find an anarchist infoshop where I could dye my hair green and sell books and Zapatista coffee, or an egalitarian society where I could farm - I was willing to stay anywhere that would take me.

I asked him to take me to the grocery store and bought fruit roll-ups and ramen from the little pool of money I'd scraped together on short notice. He was a minor too, and I couldn't stay with him - his parents would find me. I didn't know anyone who wasn't a Scientologist, except Matt, who was among the seediest men in history. And history, pardon me gentlemen, has spawned plenty of seedy men. What kind of 30 year old gives a 17-year-old their phone number? I knew I couldn't go to him.

I wasn't sure where to go, actually, but my boyfriend knew of an abandoned house, and I spent the night in a dark, unfurnished room. There was no hot water, so I soaked my ramen in cold tap water and ate it half-crunchy, kicking myself for not buying real food.

I watched from a darkened window as police cars drove up and down the block - the phone company had triangulated my cell phone signals at the request of the police, I learned later, and they knew I was in the area. At the time, I didn't understand why there were so many cops around. No one knew where I was, I thought, so they couldn't be there for me. They didn't find me that night.

A day later, I was exhausted. The police were everywhere I went, and my boyfriend didn't know what to do with me. I racked my brain for someone I could call that would hide me for one night, let me sleep and then drive me to the Greyhound bus station, but everyone I thought of was either a Scientologist, or another minor that couldn't help.

Finally, with nowhere else to go, I called Matt. We had no quarters in the car to use for a payphone, so we called from my boyfriend's home phone. Matt agreed to take me for a night and help me get out of town, and though I hated his guts, I figured he was shady enough and would never tell anyone I was with him.

Whoops.

I kissed my boyfriend goodbye for what I thought was the very last time, and went into Matt's apartment complex. He answered the door in his boxers, and there I stood, scared and tired. The first words out of his mouth were, "My girlfriend's out of town tonight, so you'll be sleeping with me."

My boyfriend had already left. It was 2:00 in the morning. There was nowhere else to go. On the other hand, I had no interest in contracting a venereal disease at that exact moment. So I found my spiky necklace and wrapped it around my wrist and crawled in bed alone. He snuck into the room a few minutes later, though he had promised to sleep on the couch, and scooted up next to me. I jabbed my bracelet into his side and told him to leave me alone. A few more similar spikes to the ribs and he let me be.

The next morning, he said he was going to call some friends to help me get out of there. I had a shower, and when I came out, I heard him saying to someone on the phone, "Sure, she's young and hot, and if you take her to San Diego, she'll be really grateful." At that point, I tried to think of a way to get to the bus station by myself. If I took a cab, I wouldn't have any money for the bus. The guy didn't have the internet, so there was no checking online. I had a couple things I thought I could pawn and asked him to pawn them for me, partly to get him away from me for a few minutes so I could think, partly because if I had some more money, I could catch a cab. He agreed, and left to do that.

While he was gone, I paced around his apartment, a nervous wreck.

That's as far as I got. The police came while he was out. They'd gotten my boyfriend's phone records and just showed up at the last address we'd called. My parents were with them. I was taken home.

I never told my parents what happened while I was gone, or how I ended up there, or what I did, or where I intended to go.

But the day they brought me home, they finally asked me "What do you want?"

"I don't want to be a Scientologist anymore."

And they finally agreed. It was the worst and best three days of my life at the same time. Sometimes I ask myself, if I went back with what I know now, would I have told my young self to call Matt from a payphone? I wonder what would have happened if I made it to San Fransisco.

I'm so pleased with the way my life has turned out so far. I wouldn't change a thing. But while a beautiful life is being forged, it does tend to get uncomfortably hot.
<<

Plups

Clear

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:48 am

Kendra, one of the (many) things that I find very powerful in your story is that, even as a young teen, you had a strong sense of what you needed and you fought for that. Sure, you were mixed up and you submitted yourself to the Tech for long stretches, but ultimately for such a young person you had, and have, great boundaries and great strength. You often said, "NO", in your words and your actions.

Your parents obviously loved you very much, and you them. Many people at that age would have acquiesced to Scientology so as not to disappoint their parents. You knew it was more important to preserve who you are.

Both your parents are probably very impressive individuals. I suspect your parents, in your very early years, instilled love and self-respect in you that later became your salvation.
<<

Zendon

Clear

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:31 pm

Goodonya

<<

Alexander

Non-E

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:45 am

It takes alot of nerves deciding to contact a man you know is up to mischief, but maybe that is irrelevant of the danger CoS is opposing one..

I wish the best for your future, one question that came up my mind is if you contact the socials in USA (where I think you grow up) will they address you back to your parents despite the fact that you see this organization as a threat to you?
<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:52 am

Well, I was scared of Social Services. I'd always been told that if I called the government, psychiatrists would hurt me.

So I thought that was a bad idea, though in retrospect, maybe not.
<<

Alexander

Non-E

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:59 am

Well that makes some sence, they would actually do it..

But things turned out good anyhow from what I can recall?

Did you get raised in kindergaarden to?
<<

Alexander

Non-E

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:00 pm

Well that makes some sence, they would actually do it..

But things turned out good anyhow from what I can recall?

Did you get raised in kindergaarden to?
<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:01 pm

<<

Alexander

Non-E

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:41 pm

<<

Bea Kiddo

EPFer

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:34 pm

<<

Legion1

EPFer

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:25 pm

<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:35 pm

<<

Legion1

EPFer

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:53 am

<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:13 am

<<

Bea Kiddo

EPFer

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:27 am

<<

baldheadedanon

Clear

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:15 am

Whatever you do will be
insignificant, but it is very
important that you do it.

-Mahatma Gandhi-
<<

ChaoticPsychotic

OTIII

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:20 pm

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently" - Nietzsche
<<

LAnon

Non-E

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:50 pm

<<

leereyno

Clear

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:08 am

<<

outlander

OT8 Class 12

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:35 am

Create that of your life that which you would like to see in a changed world. Ghandi
Next

Return to Your Story