who translates the tech?

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

speckledtrout

Clear

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:23 am

who translates the tech?

One of the things in Scn I disagree with most is the idea that if you clear all your words (repeatedly) everyone will magically agree that LRH's writings all mean the same thing. OK, that's in English, so I can at least see why people might have that idea.

Who translates them into foreign languages for missions overseas? Do they seriously manage to convince themselves that translating is also a one-to-one, look up your word in the dictionary process?
mikolot mayim rabim adirim, mishbarai'yam
--Ps. 93
<<

Iknowtoomuch

Suppressive Person

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:20 am

That's a great point.
It only takes one word to change the entire meaning of an idea.
"Everybody has a right to believe what they want to believe. But I don't believe that anybody has a right to trick anybody, to hurt anybody, to harm some body, for their own purposes." - Jason Beghe
<<

speckledtrout

Clear

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:34 am

Yeah. I always kind of want to bitch slap them with a copy of the Talmud. :roll:
--Ps. 93
<<

James McGuigan

Ghost in the Machine

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:49 pm

While the "strict" version of word-clearing used in the orgs is sometimes excessive, I have picked up the habit of "concept-clearing", such that if I come across a word/concept I have not heard before, or one that seems important in what I am reading but I am slightly unclear on it I will generally look the word up, though I far more often use wikipedia rather than a dictionary until I know enough about the concept that I am happy with it (sometimes thats as little as "its a black box that does X").

While this may be a non-standard way of doing it, but of all the things I learnt from Scientology, this is actually a fairly useful habit to have picked up.

Though on a side note, does anyone else experience encountering a word for the first time and learning its meaning, and suddenly seeing that word in several other places.
Freedom is a choice. Choose to be yourself, choose to speak your truth and do so with compassion. And above all else, choose to be not afraid. If I can't dance, its not my revolution.
<<

speckledtrout

Clear

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:38 pm

I do that, yeah. I have a Larousse little encyclopedia I use for French, but often I find google image and text to also help give a good sense of the overall texture or a word or expression. I do notice new ones everywhere, too.

Even if you are a native speaker in both languages, though, translation is always a kind of interpretation. Hubbard's writing is very 1950's and rich in idiom--and given the "In the beginning was the tech/And the tech was with Hubbard/and the tech WAS Hubbard" mentality, I wonder how they justify away translation.

A few religions have similar issues; Islam tends to insist that ideally the Koran should not be translated but read in Arabic. Of course people do anyway...
--Ps. 93
<<

Orderous

Suppressive Person

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:39 pm

speckledtrout wrote:A few religions have similar issues; Islam tends to insist that ideally the Koran should not be translated but read in Arabic. Of course people do anyway...

Lesser known example;

The very first words of Genesis talks about the 7 days god spent creating the world.

The talmud translation could also have it be talking about 7 time periods, no more specificity. Which in fact works with one of the setups for geological time periods from creation of the earth till today.
The most important thing to learn about Life, the Universe, and Everything, is firstly; the answer is 42, and secondly; how utterly ridiculous it truly is
<<

James McGuigan

Ghost in the Machine

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:58 pm

This story is a first hand report of an SO member who was part of the LRH translations team and talks about some of the SNAFUs of the project.

http://www.freezone.org/reports/theo_01.htm
Freedom is a choice. Choose to be yourself, choose to speak your truth and do so with compassion. And above all else, choose to be not afraid. If I can't dance, its not my revolution.
<<

LronIsgonE_Snap

Suppressive Person

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:40 pm

James, that is a very interesting report. The writer, Theo Sismanides, used to post here in the Pro Scientology forum. He is a very strong believer in standard LRH tech. He believes that a large portion of the problems in the CoS, including not getting LRH materials translated efficiently, are a result of "hidden data lines" and "verbal tech" from those "just following orders" originating with the COB.
Enjoy your life today,
For time is fleeting.
<<

speckledtrout

Clear

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Neat! I wish he talked a little more about the process of translation itself, but interesting none the less.

This is a classic example of what I was talking about: who decides that the tech is correct in translation/interpretation? The officer above you in the SO. There is no magic single truth in the text.
--Ps. 93

Return to Tech Debates & Discussion