Why Alice in Wonderland??

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

ex-cadet

Clear

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:05 pm

Why Alice in Wonderland??

why did we have to use the Alice in Wonderland book for practicals? why precisely this book? it always said to use alice in wonderland for different exercises and i always wondered why... once i was so bored with study that i ended up reading the whole book and i became a fan of it :lol: but still it is weird we always had to use this story only... :?
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
<<

LronIsgonE_Snap

Suppressive Person

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:04 pm

I don't know if there is an official answer to this question, but I can speculate on a few reasons: first and foremost, contains no ideas that would conflict with LRH's writings; published in 1865, it is a public domain book with no copyright issues; written in simple language, MUs would cause few delays; style and story are amusing and well-known, therefore friendly and entertaining for new people, e.g. Comm Course; LRH was promoting a fantasy in Scn, and this book perhaps provided a way to get people in the mood to be a bit more receptive to LRH's fantasies.
Enjoy your life today,
For time is fleeting.
<<

James McGuigan

Ghost in the Machine

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:27 am

Alice in wonderland is in a genere called nonsense... and for many years I could easily quote the book without ever having read it cover to cover (though I have recently done so - personal I prefer Through the Looking Glass)

It contains a large number of short self-contained statements, and is thus highly quotable and each section can be understood without reference to other parts of the book. Also because Caroll was logitician, just like Dr Suess, many of the quotes from the book are actually quite meaningful or will at least make you think.

Curious and curiouser for you to ask this question on the day you did... in this style 10/6, time is money and therefore money is time, and if I don't say what I mean, however I mean what I say... 10th June, its Mad Hatters day... but if you missed it, oh well, jam yesterday and jam tomorrow but never jam today.
Freedom is a choice. Choose to be yourself, choose to speak your truth and do so with compassion. And above all else, choose to be not afraid. If I can't dance, its not my revolution.
<<

ex-cadet

Clear

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:53 pm

Curious and curiouser for you to ask this question on the day you did... in this style 10/6, time is money and therefore money is time, and if I don't say what I mean, however I mean what I say... 10th June, its Mad Hatters day... but if you missed it, oh well, jam yesterday and jam tomorrow but never jam today.

I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see. (LOL)

Alice in wonderland is in a genere called nonsense... and for many years I could easily quote the book without ever having read it cover to cover (though I have recently done so - personal I prefer Through the Looking Glass)

i prefer through the looking glass as well :D but still love alice in wonderland cause most of my dreams are sort of like if i was alice... and also i read the book a couple of days ago and remembered i used in the courseroom a lot... plus the little quote i found there and put as my signature fit perfectly for my though about the SO :P
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
<<

mrtampa

Clear

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:31 pm

The world is imaginary and the phrases you pick up from it are considered non-abberating, probably you would have no charge on it... Mainly senseless sentences in dialougues considered to be non-restimulative.

Return to Tech Debates & Discussion