[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Ex Scientology Kids • View topic - Top three favorite reads...

Top three favorite reads...

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

Wirestripper

OTIII

Post Sat May 24, 2008 10:07 am

James Monikers' Three Rules of life:
1. Desperation Breeds insanity
2. It can always get worse
3. Only crazy people win; Only winners can judge what is crazy
<<

dwest

Clear

Post Sat May 24, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Top three favorite reads...

<<

Mobius

Non-E

Post Mon May 26, 2008 1:35 am

<<

Orderous

Suppressive Person

Post Mon May 26, 2008 12:02 pm

I actually have the first Ender book, need to get more of them. Kinda wierd because I can never decide if I like it or not, but it's still a fantastic read.
The most important thing to learn about Life, the Universe, and Everything, is firstly; the answer is 42, and secondly; how utterly ridiculous it truly is
<<

gogogadget

Clear

Post Wed May 28, 2008 2:51 pm

Here's a boring Scientology-related question... are there paperbacks passed around or lending libraries in the SeaOrg?

Also, the list here are HEAVILY weighted toward Fantasy or SciFi. I'm more of a non-fiction guy, but I do like Verner Vinge, Harlan Ellison, (and in the horror genre) H.P. Lovecraft, Thomas Ligotti, and Michael Shea. Even Stephen King from time to time.

Actually, if you are an aspiring writer, you could do a lot worse than reading King's On Writing.
<<

Grundy

Sticky Master

Post Wed May 28, 2008 4:35 pm

When I was at PAC, there was a place where people put books and others borrowed.

Probably they got rid of it as it wasn't in an FO.

But I enjoyed it.
<<

dwest

Clear

Post Sat May 31, 2008 3:43 pm

<<

stuckin

OTIII

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:20 pm

I guess I'm gonna be the geek in the bunch and "date" myself as well...LOL

Favs.

1. The complete short stories of Ernest Hemingway
2.Reef Madness by Charles Darwin and Alexander Agassiz
3.Silver wolf black falcon
By Dennis McKiernan

Here comes the "dating" myself...just finished these...

Slash by Slash and Anthony Bozza
(Loved Guns N Roses and most of the 80's hair bands)

You've been warned by James Patterson

Spycatcher by Peter Wright

Honeymoon By James Patterson
If someone has to teach you how to be happy , then you are not truly happy....Happiness is a state of mind.
<<

Clickman

OTIII

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:51 am

No problem on Slash and GnR. Im probably older than you and I loved that period of Rock and Roll myself.

I got to meet Slash and the rest of GnR during their heyday except for that A...hole Axl Rose.

Typical Slash. He was drunk on Jack Daniels and threw up all over the girl that was with him! She freaked out!! :lol:
If it's not fun and doesn't make you happy, DON'T DO IT !!!

School of Hard Knocks
<<

ScudMuffin

EPFer

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:07 am

In no particular ranked order

Novels

Phillip Pulman - Dark Materials
J. R. R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Barry Hines - A Kestrel For A Knave

Non-Fiction

Bruce Campbell - Confessions of a B-Movie Actor
Danny Wallace - Join Me
Dave Gorman - Googlewhack Adventure

Graphic

Slaine
Sandman
Preacher
Scud Muffins: One Hell Of A Taste Explosion
<<

Wirestripper

OTIII

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:12 am

James Monikers' Three Rules of life:
1. Desperation Breeds insanity
2. It can always get worse
3. Only crazy people win; Only winners can judge what is crazy
<<

stuckin

OTIII

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:02 pm

If someone has to teach you how to be happy , then you are not truly happy....Happiness is a state of mind.
<<

Clickman

OTIII

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:08 pm

Stuckin,

I met the band in the early 90s when they were on tour with Metallica. Matt Sorum the drummer was the nicest guy in the band. Slash and Duff were completely wasted all the time.

Kirk and Lars from Metallica were also very nice to everyone. James Hetfield from Metallica was recovering from the pyrotechnics accident that happened during the tour, so we didn't get to meet him.

Foo Fighters are my favorite band now. Dave Grohl is a musical genius in my opinion! :rockon: :twisted:

School of Hard Knocks
<<

Clickman

OTIII

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:11 pm

Oh yeah, Def Leppard - Hysteria - one of my favorite songs ever.

Definitely in my "Desert Island" playlist! Ha! :wink:

School of Hard Knocks
<<

stuckin

OTIII

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:55 am

If you were ever into Poison, Brett Michaels just came out with a solo CD. It's much mellower ( hey, I'm getting older..LOL) and it's pretty good. I cheat these days and use limewire, instead of buying..but 4 of the songs are on my playlist I fall asleep to.

I'd love to burn them to CD but have to wait for the kid to get leave again. Can't get them moved into my music for the life of me! She gets to frustrated to walk me through it on the phone.
<<

Public Clammer

OTIII

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:37 pm

Good reads...

Stuckin, for a read, try "Pattern Recognition" by a guy named Gibson (whose 1st name escaped me for the moment) - all his other stuff is great too. I promise you will like him. However, his edgy topics are not exactly soothing...

You mentioned before that you like Hemingway's short stories, and FYI I've read them countless times and they are more luminous with each reading.

For sheer beauty and truth, read "The Immense Journey" by Loren Eisely - you will be amazed by his insights and humanity.

As to music, I have a CD of a concert by Pavarotti and soprano Nuccia Focile titled "My Heart's delight" and it is perhaps my favorite of 100's of recordings. It is fairly old and they are both in their vocal prime - I keep it in the car and use it for restorative purposes. It works, for me, without fail.

Glad you survived the weekend! Keep on keeping on...
The Public Clammer!
<<

stuckin

OTIII

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:18 am

For Clammer

I will definately pick it up. Don't think I dropped off the face of the earth if you don't see me for a while. Taking kiddies to Zoo tomorrow, Library Friday and leaving for the court hearing Saturday. I will have my computer, but that's all contingent on available wireless access. Just didn't want you to think I ran back to the org, that's never gonna happen.

If I don't talk to you for a week, have a great one!
<<

Public Clammer

OTIII

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Stuckin and everyone...

Favorite Hemingway story (well, one of my favorites anyway) is "A Clean, Well Lighted Place". Re-read it an see if you like it too. This forum is rather like the place in the story to me.

Actually did not fear for you. Might actually be somewhat concerned for those at he org because of what you might do to them!

The Zoo is always good! Enjoy.
The Public Clammer!
Previous

Return to Off Topic & Humor