[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Ex Scientology Kids • View topic - Beijing Olympics

Beijing Olympics

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

LronIsgonE_Snap

Suppressive Person

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:02 pm

Beijing Olympics

Enjoy your life today,
For time is fleeting.
<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:22 am

<<

Jo

EPFer

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:34 pm

Tru2, I always like reading your insights into Chinese culture. I'm fascinated by China. PBS' "Frontline" just put out an *awesome* documentary called "Young and Restless In China" -- http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/youngchina/ -- and they said that China has taken this Olympics thing *way* too far and really making life hellish for the locals in the name of "PR"

Sound like another group you know?

I've really grown to dislike any organization/country etc. putting on a contrived appearance in the name of good publicity.

MHO
<<

LronIsgonE_Snap

Suppressive Person

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:06 pm

Enjoy your life today,
For time is fleeting.
<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:19 am

<<

outlander

OT8 Class 12

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:22 pm

OK, sports, the pure spirit of the olympics, something I unconditionally love and the only sporting event I follow with passion.

People, from all walks of life, all countries, competing with honor, countries presenting their best for the world, non agressive, no war, for me the olympics signifies the idea of a better world.
Create that of your life that which you would like to see in a changed world. Ghandi
<<

jay xythos

EPFer

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:01 pm

yeah all wars are supposed to stop during the olympics that was oner of the rules during the original greek olympic games and it managed to carry into our time up until world war 1 or 2 (can't remember) where the game was postponed to fight the war and the rules sorta been forgotten since
the truth will be revealed when humanity is willing to accept it-wraith
<<

stuckin

OTIII

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:12 pm

I love the games, and I always find the underdog to root for, like the poor kid in swimming who was just diagnosed with cancer.

For many of the games, in all different Countries, I have seen and heard that too much money was spend friviously, on buildings, "beautification" ect. That's a bit of a downer. Every Country (don't care which one) can put that money to much more productive uses, IE poverty, jobs, housing...

Remember Atlanta GA....and look at it now....
If someone has to teach you how to be happy , then you are not truly happy....Happiness is a state of mind.
<<

ILuvThistles

Clear

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:16 am

I have always been fascinated with Chinese culture myself. I think it started with my visit to the Chinese exibit at Epcot in Florida. Then years later Amy Tan's books, which are mostly about Chinese Americans but do give some insight into the culture, past and present in China. Since then I've been enamoured with Chinese Cinema. One of my favorite movies of all time is "To Live"

Of course there are many more, like the obvious, "raise the Red Lantern", "Ju Dou", "Qui Ju Goes to Court", "Red Firecracker, Green Firecracker", etc.

I want to go. The mountains in the south seem so unusual. DH doesn't want to, he wants to go to Egypt which scares me a little. lol

Oh well,

eeyore
"For evil to flourish, it only requires that good men do nothing"--Simon Wiesenthal
<<

anonangel

Clear

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:52 am

I'm really looking forward to the games, always have loved them. I'm also looking forward to hearing how things are really going from Kendra.
Angel
<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:38 am

<<

LronIsgonE_Snap

Suppressive Person

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:54 pm

Enjoy your life today,
For time is fleeting.
<<

gogogadget

Clear

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:27 pm

Kendra -- I went to Beijing last year for work... what a crazy, amazing, fun city! The clash of guys in sport coats hanging off of swings to wash the windows of high rises, the lamborgini dealership with the People's Army officers smoking outside of it. BONKERS!

My favorite part was this weird little arts neighborhood set up around in an old East German pottery plant. Oh, and I had some amazing Sushi, as good as any I've had in LA.

Lucky.
<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:48 am

<<

Ex-OSAdude

EPFer

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:50 am

Bejing restaurants taking dog meat off menus for Olympics

I have always claimed Americans didn't want a drink as bad as they wanted the right to take a drink if they did happen to want one.
- Will Rogers
<<

gogogadget

Clear

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:42 pm

When I was there I tried the bits of a horsie that makes it a boy horsie (at a restaurant, just to be clear).
<<

LronIsgonE_Snap

Suppressive Person

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:54 pm

Enjoy your life today,
For time is fleeting.
<<

Grundy

Sticky Master

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:58 pm

<<

ILuvThistles

Clear

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:45 pm

Re: Bejing restaurants taking dog meat off menus for Olympic

"For evil to flourish, it only requires that good men do nothing"--Simon Wiesenthal
<<

Ex-OSAdude

EPFer

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:55 pm

In the news: No spitting rule imposed on Chinese..

I have always claimed Americans didn't want a drink as bad as they wanted the right to take a drink if they did happen to want one.
- Will Rogers
Next

Return to Off Topic & Humor