Minors in the Sea Org... What is the situation NOW?

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

HailXxxx79

Clear

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:54 am

Minors in the Sea Org... What is the situation NOW?

Hey there,

There still seems to be some confusion over at Enturbulation if minors are still allowed to join the Sea Org. By minors, in my mind, I am talking about anyone less than 18 years old.

So, does anyone know the current, as in March, 2008, situation about whether minors are allowed to join the Sea Org? If so, what sources do you have (if you can say)?

Thanks for any information!
"These barricades can only hold for so long." -R.E.M.

I will protest the Church of Scientology every month for as long as it takes for it to change.
<<

dwest

Clear

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:57 am

There are a couple of examples of minors who are currently in the SO in this thread, hope this helps.

http://exscientologykids.com/eskforums/ ... .php?t=631
<<

Tru2form

Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:11 am

Oh, TOTALLY.

I think they can get you as soon as you're legally allowed to graduate / be out of school / get signed away from your parents.
Us rabbits? DO something? - Wind in the Willows
<<

ChaoticPsychotic

OTIII

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:47 pm

I know of a girl - Ann Marie Apodaca who was recruited into the SO last year. She is 13. Or at least she was when she joined.

They still stick to their same crummy tactics of taking kids when they are too young to know better.
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently" - Nietzsche
<<

HailXxxx79

Clear

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:11 pm

OK, wow! Thank you guys for this info! It is good to have proof from those of you in the know!

Thank you so much!
"These barricades can only hold for so long." -R.E.M.

I will protest the Church of Scientology every month for as long as it takes for it to change.
<<

WileyCoyote

Clear

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:01 pm

Do the minors belong outright, or do they participate via some dummy organization that's just a blind to make it seem like the kids are in some kind of "youth organization" with "internships" or whatever other bullcrap term is used to disguise breaking the law in terms of how many hours a minor can work?

People go on about how Scientology has given the IRS the runaround. And, of course, the DOJ. But it occurs to me that the lack of action by Dept of Labor and the Department of Health and Human Services (via their Office for Civil Rights) is in many ways even MORE shocking. And on the state level, of course, there have to be Children and Family services departments that aren't pressing hard enough.

Given the upped media attention lately, has anything changed? These same State and Federal departments have been perfectly able to take action against fundamentalist Christian organizations who treat their kids this way... so what's the difference here? The fact that John Travolta and Leah Remini might object?
<<

sabrina

EPFer

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:13 pm

I left the SO at Flag in 2001, but I joined when I was 14 and I think they tried to get away with me joining by saying I was studying all day on the TTC, which I was, but it certainly wasn't school work, they were grooming me to be an Examiner. I was working 50+ hours a week by the time I was 15 because I was posted as an Examiner. I know at Flag we were only allowed to go to school one day a week on Sunday from 9am-6pm. Unfortunately I can't tell you what's going on now, but I still see really young kids around Flag in uniform which leads me to believe nothing has changed. I also know there previous Sunday school location has been vacant for quite some time which means they no longer go to school, or they have a new location where they allow kids to do school work.
<<

doubleVee

Forum Moderator

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:18 pm

When I was in the SO (left in 2000) the rule of thumb was if you were over 14, we got you a GED and parental consent to leave school, you were signed over to a "guardian" in the org (mine was the Captain) and then you went to work. If you joined prior to getting a GED (like I did) there was supposed to be a one-day-a-week school, but there wasn't. For a little while on Saturdays we went to the library and read whatever suited us and hung out.

If you were under 14, you had to be on "full time study" ie the Technical Training Corps, which everyone pretended was some kind of schooling but of course it's only in Scientology. You still worked at various chores but nominally you were only allowed to do about 20 hours a week, and you were supposed to be in bed earlier.

Of course this violates the child labor and schooling laws, but none of us knew that then. What we did know was how to stay under the radar of any officials, out of sight, and lie if cornered.

I remember one kid got picked up by the cops when he had "blown" (run away). We were all so proud of him for lying through his teeth, although the fact that they asked him repeatedly if he was beaten or starved kind of shocked us. (Who cares, anyway?) Of course the cops brought him back to the base. He was in a lot of trouble for causing that issue, even though it was put under wraps fast. I think he got kicked out, actually.
Somebody has to speak for these people.... no more running. I aim to misbehave.... If you can't do something smart, do something right. (Serenity)
<<

evan

EPFer

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:16 am

My sister didn't need a GED or anything like that to get recruited, since she was picked out of high school at 15 or so. Hell, I think my signature is on an SO contract in a basement somewhere that I signed when I was 10 or 11, since my mom was routing in and my sister and I pretty much had to join the cadet org if we wanted to see her.

I'm 90% sure that my sister didn't have any kind of schooling after she routed in, but she also could have gotten her GED... I'm not sure and I haven't talked to her in a while. I'm sure the sentiment for uneducated minors is still making you into a functioning SO member over teaching you what the "wog world" wants you to know. You do learn that newspaper can be used to clean windows though, which is occasionally helpful.

In the cadet org, I remember learning fuck all except for some cursive. We did more "problems of work" and KTL style courses there. I remember retreading the comm course like three or four times since I would outright refuse to do shit like scoop maggots with my bare hands and throw them in the nearby dumpster, and the EO (of which I was deputy EO, at 13) would just tell me I needed to do more confront drills, which was fine with me since I wasn't trying to impress anybody and trying to get people to laugh was fun.
"And stay happy!" - Philip Gale
<<

Top Grunge

EPFer

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:18 pm

C-psycho! You may have just hit pay dirt and not realized it...let me explain...

AnonMomAnon was in communication months ago about Child Labor with Amnesty Inernational. AI said it couldn't do anything because they couldn't act on general information. They needed a name of a child and a location.

This is what they need to move forward. If any of you know a name -> location combination of a kid in the Sea Org, breaking Child Labor laws PM me or AnonMomAnon about it please so we can forward the info on. You gave one girls name already, where is she?

I'd like to keep it PM cause you know once its posted publicly CoS will reassign them somewhere else to keep them hidden. If you know names this could be huge!
<<

CherryTree

Clear

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:02 am

I worked at FSO from 2002-2004. and I was not even 14 when I probably had a nervous breakdown from the stress, not sleeping-eating properly, being in ethics all the time for just expressing my opinion or anything (yeah I know not so smart in the SO, but come on I was 12-13) and plus to all this my direct senior was a jerk herassing me all the time with all kinds of stuff starting from my name, where I come from, that I didn't know English that much, which actually wasn't even true after a couple of months but it didn't matter and so on... so anyway after blaming myself and not knowing what's wrong with me and so on, on a "lovely day" after I got in a fight with the HGC admin (but the strands of hair that I teared out give a little compensation) I tried to commit suicide and so was kicked out basicly... I knew other guys who where minors at the time but sorry they were all about 2 years older than me and I'm 18 now too...
just when you thought it's all wrong it proved otherwise
<<

ex-cadet

Clear

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:07 am

the cadets could only be cadets if they had a parent in the SO.. i knew EPFers that were even 9 or 10 years old, i was 11 or 12 when i was in don't remember.. but they make u work as hard as any 25 year old or so... the only difference is that they hide u from the public so they won't see that they make minors work like that... so we were rushed to clean the entire FH in 2 or 3 groups of around 4 people before 7:30 am i think cause that's around when the service areas started opening and public shouln't see us.

Once they made us help finish with the tampa org building, minors involved, worked for around a week with no sleep and little food. I wasn't part of it much cause i caused too many "enturbulation" sorry but i couln't lift a 60kg bag it wasn't my fault it almost weight as much as i did...
<<

CherryTree

Clear

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:45 pm

Well 60kgs :D that's only 5 less than me now, and I was only 40 when I was in the SO, I don't think there is even a chance any of us girls would have lifted it.
<<

ex-cadet

Clear

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:48 pm

yup.. even for our group it was pretty impossible.. i got my arms sore for about four days and plus i had just had three molars removed the day before and i was bleeding cause of the effort i was making on lifting them because otherwise they'd have me to late at night working on the CB and it would even be worse..

i wasn't the only minor working on that... there was this guy named Roni... he was about 1,50 meters or less and he must've weighted like... i don't know but he was real skinny.. if he sucked his belly in you could see his skelleton pretty much... it was real funny.. he was on that, the others were minors too but they were round the 70kgs like i was... still it was hard.. lucky for us there was this two huuuuge guys who were ex RPFers... though one of them kept saying things to me like "i've seen worse on the RPF so shut up" or "you are just a thetan in a small body" like usual.. but well.. we got it done after all.. we had 5 to 10 minutes assigned for it though... :?
<<

CherryTree

Clear

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:49 pm

The thing that I "loved" most is the Folder Warehouse all-hands :D This wasn't on the EPF at least for me, but if I well remember we had EPFers helping, at that time it was a mess, there were even delays in auditing because the warehouse admin couldn't find a folder in there, so there were periods when we spent nights and nights trying to get the place into order, at it was really huge... and thousands and thousands of folders...
<<

ex-cadet

Clear

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:34 pm

I sooo remember that werehouse!! the first time i entered and was told to clean it up i screamed in the inside :lol: and always the job seemed to go nowhere... u had to grab one of those millions of boxes and one by one put the file where it really went... gosh it was horrible!
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
<<

mrtampa

Clear

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:19 pm

You are allowed to join SO if you are minor, probably you will wind up in CMO. But say good bye to GED, HS diploma, get prepared to not to have a bank account, you will go to school later on once a week, and you won't be able to multiply numbers unless you learned before joining. Also say good bye to family - I have seen my family after 8 yrs once. Still want to join?
<<

wiseman_of_the_watchtower

EPFer

Post Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:47 pm

The legal department of OSA is "Uncomfortable" having minors in the SO, especially at higher orgs like ILO. They definitely want at least one parent to be in the SO.

As for education, the attitude is when you reach the age of majority, you are 'lucky' because you can drop out of GED studies. I don't like that attitude.
The price of escaping may be everything. I know. But when it feels like nothing is left, remember the only thing you need is to believe in yourself.

Adam Holland
Sea Org member for 2 years, left in Apr 2009
<<

mrtampa

Clear

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:45 pm

At the FSO they were pretty comfortable recruiting youngsters. I was used to be a supervisor and the following did really happen :

a student called me and I walked over. She was 17 yrs old, did study basics in Cadet school. She asked me : what is this Palm Harbor LRH talks about?? - I did show her in the encyclopedia. Then she raised her hand again: "so this means that US was involved in the World War II? Was there a World War I??? I did show her in the encyclopedia that too. This is what cadet school taching is like.

Return to Staff & Sea Org