[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Ex Scientology Kids • View topic - those people we call celebs

those people we call celebs

Moderator: doubleVee

<<

doubleVee

Forum Moderator

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:50 am

those people we call celebs

Ok guys, I really have to say something which has been bugging me for a while.

Celebrities are people, too!

Now, don't get me wrong, someone with as a large an audience as some celebs have really ought to think about what they are promoting or speaking up for.

That said, they are people who happen to be Scientologists, just like other "regular joe" Scientologists. As stupid or blind or self-centered as you might think they are, they are all different people in different situations, with different past histories in the "church".

I am no proponent of Scientology. Read any of my posts if you think so.

But I grew up with quite a lot of these celebs, went to school with them, or birthday parties, or twinned with them on course, or whatever. A lot of the young actors who are being the face of Scn are second or even third generation, just like a lot of us. They had/have the same pressures of "you must do this or your parents will be disappointed in you" that we all had. They, too, would stand to lose their families if they decided Scn wasn't for them. They, too, have absorbed Scientology doctrine from the cradle.

One of the big differences is, most of them have had a totally awesome time in Scientology. Why? Because they were child actors or their parents had money or you could just tell they were artists who were going places. Once you become even a minor celeb, the church treats you VERY differently from everyone else. Trust me, it's a world apart. Even my teenage friends at CCI were given extremely preferential treatment over, say, an ordinary kid like me. Once I was in the SO it became even more obvious. NO CELEB is going to be allowed to witness even the SMALLEST problem in the church. It was drilled into our heads, and anyone who "created the flap" of letting a celeb see or hear something "enturbulating" or "out-PR" would have been severely punished. And your typical Scientologist isn't going to complain to some star that he/she is "disaffected" or unhappy with the CoS. And don't forget that Scn has entire teams of handlers to specifically keep these famous people IN Scientology. Remember after Tom and Nicole made Eyes Wide Shut? The org freaked! Not long after that they split up... and one of them got right back "on the rails" with Scientology, while the other one disappeared from it. Boy someone "handled" the crap out of that situation.

Imagine how hard it would be for someone who has told the press that Scientology is awesome and perfect, to have to publicly leave it. I know it is going to be very hard for me, and nobody in the world really cares what I do or say. I certainly won't be quoted in People. Thank god I could take my time over the last several years and really think this through.

I can understand people not wanting to pay money to see a film made by Scientologists, just like I can understand someone not wanting to hire or work with a Scientologist-run company. Personally I won't do that, but it's anyone's free choice. (I'd rather not see a movie because it just sucks.)

I can understand people who have suffered at the hands of Scientology being upset that a famous big-shot would try to make the church look good, just like I would have to argue with anyone who says they are good.

Just please remember that "celebrities" are people, too. You never know who is reading these boards, either.

Some of them used to be my friends, and should any one decide to continue being my friend despite the church saying they can't, I would welcome their company, and be glad of it.
Somebody has to speak for these people.... no more running. I aim to misbehave.... If you can't do something smart, do something right. (Serenity)
<<

Spork

Clear

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:48 am

Re: those people we call celebs

<<

outlander

OT8 Class 12

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:11 pm

Create that of your life that which you would like to see in a changed world. Ghandi
<<

Public Clammer

OTIII

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:26 pm

The Public Clammer!
<<

doubleVee

Forum Moderator

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:43 pm

Last edited by doubleVee on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somebody has to speak for these people.... no more running. I aim to misbehave.... If you can't do something smart, do something right. (Serenity)
<<

doubleVee

Forum Moderator

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:57 pm

<<

doubleVee

Forum Moderator

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:58 pm

<<

Iknowtoomuch

Suppressive Person

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:35 pm

"Everybody has a right to believe what they want to believe. But I don't believe that anybody has a right to trick anybody, to hurt anybody, to harm some body, for their own purposes." - Jason Beghe

Return to Scientology Celebrities